Toyo Versado Lx Luxury Car Tires

I have heard that Toyo Versado LX tires are the best for quietness and ride comfort and still last a long time. They seem to be amazing tires from every report. Anyone know anything about this? I have the Toyo Proxes S/Ts on my 400h and they have been amazing but have been getting louder on the freeway or so I think. I can't be sure but it seems that I have to turn up the radio louder now than a while back. I have 15K miles on them and they look like they aren't going to wear down for a long time yet so I am just getting the lowdown. I am still not sure about the Alenzas. It will take a lot for me to go to another tire other than Toyo. Thanks, Rey

If you want to save some $$, check out the General Exclaim UHP. They have an aggressive looking tread pattern that looks like it would sipe away water effectively.

Tirerack has them INCORRECTLY listed in the Ultra High Performance Summer category where they have excellent ratings. They are an all-season tire with a M+S designation! :chairshot:

They are available in our size but none of the reviewers at Tirerack has put them on vehicles like ours because they are in the wrong category. Tirerack = *BLEEP*s! :censored::angry:

I wanted A/S tires for my BMW and ended up with ContiExtremes and had to go one size up on the rears. Their grip is just OK in the dry and wet. Although they're the best rated A/S for snow, I don't drive the Bimmer in snow. I'd bet the General Exclaim is better in dry/wet cornering and they had the correct size for rears on the BMW. It really *BLEEP*ed me off when I found out the Generals were actually an A/S tire.

Check them out.

...from a reply I added previously.....

By the way, Consumer Reports rated the General Grabber HTS as #1 with better than average comfort and road noise. However, unless you hear from someone who's had them for many miles, don't buy them. They could turn out to be excellent tires, it's just that we don't know.

In the same CR list, the Michelin LTX M/S is one of the few highly-rated tires to show long tread life.

The quietest tires are the Coper Discoverer CTS and the Yokohama Geolander. They were also rated in the upper half of the list. The Alenzas showed better than average dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, and snow traction.

If you're noticing increased tire noise at only 15,000 miles, there's a strong possibility that you're running a very mediocre tire in terms of lifespan and you simply don't realize it yet. However, there are some things you can do in an effort to quiet your tires down somewhat. If you're running them at perhaps 30 psi or so for a soft ride, bump them up to 32 or 33 psi and see if they calm down a bit. Your gas mileage should improve as well. You might also rotate the tires now to see if that makes a difference in what you are hearing. My previous experience tells me that if your tires have started to sing at just 15,000 miles, you didn't get nearly as much tire as your tire sales guy convinced you. I know that several members on this forum have reported their Toyo tires became "singers" as they neared or passed 30,000 miles but I don't recall anyone complaining at just 15,000 miles until now....

Adjust your pressures to see if that helps. If not, then try a rotation. As a last resort, you could get your wheels rebalanced. Good luck - tires are costly these days and everyone deserves to get what they pay for. The Alenzas certainly seem to be better than your Toyos as far as quietness and lifespan are concerned....

By the way, Consumer Reports rated the General Grabber HTS as #1 with better than average comfort and road noise. However, unless you hear from someone who's had them for many miles, don't buy them. They could turn out to be excellent tires, it's just that we don't know.

In the same CR list, the Michelin LTX M/S is one of the few highly-rated tires to show long tread life.

The quietest tires are the Coper Discoverer CTS and the Yokohama Geolander. They were also rated in the upper half of the list. The Alenzas showed better than average dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, and snow traction.

Although I subscribe to Consumer Reports online and appreciate their objectivity, the reviews at Tirerack represent MANY more miles of driving by actual consumers in every kind of vehicle imaginable. The General Exclaim UHP's have over 8 million miles experience in the 1000+ reviews. As previously stated, they are in the WRONG category at Tirerack. They ARE an A/S tire, although not a great snow tire.

If you live in the great white north, you probably need dedicated snow tires in winter for the RX400h. If you want an A/S with the best snow performance, that would be the ContiExtremes, we had them on our Audi S6 and their performance in extremely slippery conditions was outstanding. The Audi Quattro AWD system is as good as it gets and that made a big difference, but the ContiExtremes went through conditions with ease as good as any dedicated winter tire. I don't think they come in a size for the 400h.

The General Exclaim UHP deserves a look by anyone wanting an A/S tire but doesn't need really good snow performance throughout the winter.

Really, where Rey lives, all-season is not necessary unless he regularly heads up to the mountains in January. Consumer Reports does have every tire tested for wear - a big plus in my book.

Really, where Rey lives, all-season is not necessary unless he regularly heads up to the mountains in January. Consumer Reports does have every tire tested for wear - a big plus in my book.

That's correct, I live in L.A. and am not one to drive too far and never has my car seen more than a little rain. The Toyo Prxes S/Ts performed great in the little rain we have had. I also feel that I still have at least a year, maybe two on these tires, by then I will definitely know what I'll do. Thanks for the great input. I value all of your suggestions and am grateful to all of you for your kind assistance. Rey in L.A.

Although I subscribe to Consumer Reports online and appreciate their objectivity, the reviews at Tirerack represent MANY more miles of driving by actual consumers in every kind of vehicle imaginable. The General Exclaim UHP's have over 8 million miles experience in the 1000+ reviews. As previously stated, they are in the WRONG category at Tirerack. They ARE an A/S tire, although not a great snow tire.

If you live in the great white north, you probably need dedicated snow tires in winter for the RX400h. If you want an A/S with the best snow performance, that would be the ContiExtremes, we had them on our Audi S6 and their performance in extremely slippery conditions was outstanding. The Audi Quattro AWD system is as good as it gets and that made a big difference, but the ContiExtremes went through conditions with ease as good as any dedicated winter tire. I don't think they come in a size for the 400h.

The General Exclaim UHP deserves a look by anyone wanting an A/S tire but doesn't need really good snow performance throughout the winter.

A/S means all season I suppose....I'm in L.A. so weather is not a factor...sorry, I forgot to mention that important little detail! Rey

Yes Rey, A/S is all season. The reason I put A/S tires on the Bimmer was because I wanted to drive it in winter but not snow. We don't get much snow in VA but it gets pretty cold Dec-Feb. A/S tires use different compounds that can handle the cold weather. Summer tires might get too hard in the cold and their performance would suffer. I think the rule of thumb is not to use summer tires in temps below 40*.

The Toyos (Proxes and Versado) are A/S tires. Both are highly thought of at 1010tires. They're also expensive but 1010tires is typically a lot more expensive than Tirerack.

Yes Rey, A/S is all season. The reason I put A/S tires on the Bimmer was because I wanted to drive it in winter but not snow. We don't get much snow in VA but it gets pretty cold Dec-Feb. A/S tires use different compounds that can handle the cold weather. Summer tires might get too hard in the cold and their performance would suffer. I think the rule of thumb is not to use summer tires in temps below 40*.

The Toyos (Proxes and Versado) are A/S tires. Both are highly thought of at 1010tires. They're also expensive but 1010tires is typically a lot more expensive than Tirerack.

Thanks so much Jim. I do like Toyo tires very much. They seem to make a fine tire all around and would like to stay with that brand but get a less aggressive tire pattern next time to assure a quieter ride. Rey Bustos in sunny L.A., yes, even now in December it's almost 80!

I have heard good things about the Versados, I have a friend who has them on his '06 ES330 and likes them.

However, my previous experience with Toyo tires is that they start out great, and then get very loud as they age, specifically past about 15,000 miles. This experience has been shared with others here with several different models of Toyo tires.

So...I personally would never spend money on a set of Toyo tires again.

I've been running Michelin LTX M/S on the Explorer I had before the Lexus for years, my folks still have that truck as a third vehicle and its now on its third set of LTX M/S tires (installed 6 mos ago) and it has 190,000 miles. The first set went on at about 25,000 miles. So do the math, thats 80,000 miles a set, and the last set had plenty of tread, they were simply starting to get dry rotted from age and sitting out in the sun not being driven much on.

I would only run these tires in an SUV personally, quiet & smooth and very long lasting. Not overly expensive either...

I guess Consumer Reports CAN be a good guide for tires, especially if you know someone who already has experience with one of the top picks.

From my experience, Bridgestone make some very good tires.

I have heard good things about the Versados, I have a friend who has them on his '06 ES330 and likes them.

However, my previous experience with Toyo tires is that they start out great, and then get very loud as they age, specifically past about 15,000 miles. This experience has been shared with others here with several different models of Toyo tires.

So...I personally would never spend money on a set of Toyo tires again.

I've been running Michelin LTX M/S on the Explorer I had before the Lexus for years, my folks still have that truck as a third vehicle and its now on its third set of LTX M/S tires (installed 6 mos ago) and it has 190,000 miles. The first set went on at about 25,000 miles. So do the math, thats 80,000 miles a set, and the last set had plenty of tread, they were simply starting to get dry rotted from age and sitting out in the sun not being driven much on.

I would only run these tires in an SUV personally, quiet & smooth and very long lasting. Not overly expensive either...

Thanks! great advice. Rey