How To Change The Oil In My 1993 Lexus Es300?

Quixtar

Hey guys I have a Lexus Es 300 and I'm wanting to know how to change the oil on it... What do I need does Lexus have oil pans that you can drip oil in

Any pan that holds at least five (preferably six) quarts and fits under your car can be used to catch the oil from the sump. I use various pans I bought at discount stores.

A Toyota Camry with a V6 engine uses the same oil filter that an ES300 uses. It's often less expensive to buy filters for a Lexus at a Toyota dealer. Be sure to also get a replacement oil plug gasket. My wife drives a Camry V6 which is mechanically virtually identical to the ES300 of the same year -- it is very easy to change the oil on her Camry and quite a bit easier than on my LS.

The oil filter on a Camry/ES300 engine is on the front of the engine and is easy to access and remove. You will need an inexpensive oil filter wrench made for the smaller import car oil filter and you should put a drip pan under the oil filter when you remove it.

As far as the brake fluid leaking, I recommend either finding someone with experiance to walk you thru the repair, or taking it to a brake shop. If you do not have experience working on brakes, it is not a good job to start training on. At best, accidents are expensive. And if your brake system is leaking you need to address the problem quickly.

Hey guys I have a Lexus Es 300 and I'm wanting to know how to change the oil on it... What do I need does Lexus have oil pans that you can drip oil in

Any pan that holds at least five (preferably six) quarts and fits under your car can be used to catch the oil from the sump. I use various pans I bought at discount stores.

A Toyota Camry with a V6 engine uses the same oil filter that an ES300 uses. It's often less expensive to buy filters for a Lexus at a Toyota dealer. Be sure to also get a replacement oil plug gasket. My wife drives a Camry V6 which is mechanically virtually identical to the ES300 of the same year -- it is very easy to change the oil on her Camry and quite a bit easier than on my LS.

The oil filter on a Camry/ES300 engine is on the front of the engine and is easy to access and remove. You will need an inexpensive oil filter wrench made for the smaller import car oil filter and you should put a drip pan under the oil filter when you remove it.

Okay well can you give me any step by step instructions?

As far as the brake fluid leaking, I recommend either finding someone with experiance to walk you thru the repair, or taking it to a brake shop. If you do not have experience working on brakes, it is not a good job to start training on. At best, accidents are expensive. And if your brake system is leaking you need to address the problem quickly.

Yes the brake fluid is leaking it stays in for about 3 weeks then leave where could it be leaking from?

....hmmmmm.......here s what i would do. Get an oil change done at a shop(its not expensive and they don t make a mess and they legally dispose of the old oil).......and can also check your brakes(free estimate) and find out exactly what the problem is and what it would take to resolve. I suspect you may have leaking wheel cylinder(s.)....gut shot opinion.

I agree with kingjack133. You need someone with experience to give the car a good visual inspection. It is real easy for them while they are under the car changing the oil. Common leaks are the calipers, or hoses (both will leave stains to point you right to the problem).

You can buy rebuilt calipers, and replacement hoses from a local auto parts store at a very resonable price. Replacing calipers is not that hard, but you should get a good book to help you. Of course the brakes will need to be bled afterwards.

Okay well can you give me any step by step instructions?

I suggest you buy a car maintenance book and perhaps have a friend show you how it is done. There are a few basic safety concerns ... like never crawling under a car supported only by a jack ... and some practical matters on hand tightening the oil filter and tightening the drain plug gently but firmly so that you don't strip the threads.

I have to remind myself that changing oil seems simple to me since my father showed me how to do it by age 12 and one of my chores was to change the oil in the family cars. Changing oil in either of our cars is about a 30 minute operation and I do a number of other maintenance checks during the process. I drop off the used oil for recycling about once a year at a quick oil change shop a few blocks from the house. It's easier if you have basic tools: metric wrenches, oil filter wrench, floor jack, jack stands, creeper ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/creeper ). Good quality tools last a long time -- I bought my metric ratchet wrench set about 40 years ago.

My wife's niece took her Honda Element to a Shell "maintenance center" in Des Moines for an oil change yesterday morning. By 2:00 pm when we arrived, there was a good size puddle of oil on the floor of her garage -- pretty typical of the quality of work I've seen from "iffy lube" type shops.

good tips 1990LS400.... yes safety is a major concern.....but if Quixstar can be referred to a good shop, perhaps by a friend, and when he s there politely tell them about concerns such as leak problems "after" an oil change, he can have a whole maintenence checklist from cv boots to fluid levels done.......and find out about his leaking brake fluid.....which may be resolved right there in the shop. The key is to find a shop that is effecient and has reasonable rates ie. shop time rate, and has reasonable parts/supplies pricing. Finding a shop like that and sticking with them may be a strategy worth trying(especially if one is not mechanically inclined). If it turns out sour....keep looking because at some point we all need a shop to turn to.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Is using Seafoam - doing an Engine Oil Flush??? It seems everyone raves about Seafoam, but using any other product in your oil seems to evoke rather strong responses from people a lot of DONT DO IT ones and some say go for it it's great....

In this case talking about a 92 Windom, with unknown service history 210,000KMs on clock.

I'd planned on adding some Repco Engine Oil Flush for 15mins before doing an oil & filter but seems that might not be a good idea if I listen to some of the folk on various forums (who probably know more than I do)