Replacement Tires

We've had a lot of info about tire wear. I'm in the same boat with my '07 RX 350. Only 22k miles on the Goodyears that were on it when I bought it new in January 2007. I'm now in the market for new tires. How about some comments from those of you who have already replaced your tires. What did you end up buying? What kind of experience have you had with them? Etc, etc. I have talked with my tire dealer and he's as interested in hearing your comments and recommendations as I am. Thanks.....

We've had a lot of info about tire wear. I'm in the same boat with my '07 RX 350. Only 22k miles on the Goodyears that were on it when I bought it new in January 2007. I'm now in the market for new tires. How about some comments from those of you who have already replaced your tires. What did you end up buying? What kind of experience have you had with them? Etc, etc. I have talked with my tire dealer and he's as interested in hearing your comments and recommendations as I am. Thanks.....

Try searching the forum. There are more opinions here than you can read in a week of 24/7 perusing.

You'll have to decide whether wear, performance, quietness, suitability for bad weather, looks, price, or whatever else motivates you is the deciding factor.

If you want to go cheap, get some nexen rodian ht - good bang for buck. (I have a set of nexen winguard suvs that i use in the winter)

myself, i would spend the extra $ and get the Yokohama AVID V4S

I refuse to buy anything made by good year; michellin is ok but $$$ for what you get

• 4 weeks later...

I keep hearing about how bad the OEM Goodyears wear, and trust me I am not a Goodyear fan by any means; but I just turned over 22K on my 08 RX, and I still have a lot of wear left on the Goodyears; with no unusual/abnormal wear patterns.

Am I just lucky?

I keep hearing about how bad the OEM Goodyears wear, and trust me I am not a Goodyear fan by any means; but I just turned over 22K on my 08 RX, and I still have a lot of wear left on the Goodyears; with no unusual/abnormal wear patterns.

Am I just lucky?

probably...

Great, maybe I should take some of that luck to Vegas with me! :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you were lucky. I have Goodyear Eagle-RSA 235/55/18 and they have about 35k on them and they are bald, minimum 2/32" Also they were much louder than the MXV4s.

My BMW 323cI has 50K on Michelins and they are still deep tread, by comparison.

Three years ago we purchased a 2002 CPO RX300. It came with new OEM Goodyears (I forget the tire model name). Excessive tire wear was not a problem but these tires were just incredibly unsafe in rain. It was almost impossible to control the car in a heavy summer rain storm. With just under 30K miles on them, and over half the usable tread left, I gave the tires away to a friend (with full disclosure) and gladly spent $654 on Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs.

These Michelin tires are outstanding and feel like they are glued to the road. Although we just purchased a new 2009 RX350, we still have the RX300. There is now about 24K miles on the Michelins. I did not measure the tread but I cannot perceive any wear just by looking at them. They are great tires.

My suggestion, stay away, far away, from the Goodyear product.

The November '08 issue of Consumers Reports has a rating on SUV/PICKUP Tires.

"All-Season tires #1 General Grabber HTS; #2 Continental CrossContact LX; #3 Kumho APT KL51; #4 Cooper

CTS; #5 Michelin LTX M/S; #6 Yokohama H/T-S GO51, etc,etc."

Kumho and Yoko both much cheaper!! This info and Tirerack.com should put you in good shape to pick some replacement tires

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The November '08 issue of Consumers Reports has a rating on SUV/PICKUP Tires.

"All-Season tires #1 General Grabber HTS; #2 Continental CrossContact LX; #3 Kumho APT KL51; #4 Cooper

CTS; #5 Michelin LTX M/S; #6 Yokohama H/T-S GO51, etc,etc."

Kumho and Yoko both much cheaper!! This info and Tirerack.com should put you in good shape to pick some replacement tires

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Do they make those tires in the stock size for the RX350? Seems like an odd ball size that Lexus went with...

I think you owe yourself a trip to tirerack.com

There is fantastic info there even if you just do your research there.

We put Michelin LTX tires on our 2003 RX300 several years ago (based largely due to reviews at tire rack) and they wore like iron and handled great in the snow. I would definitely look into them again based on past performance. While I researched them at Tire Rack, I bought them locally at Discount Tire. I like the way they do business and they actually beat the tire rack prices.

Thanks for all of the info. I had to go ahead and make a decision before all of your posts showed up. Right or wrong, I ended up with a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas at the recommendation of my tire dealer. I also had a good alignment done on it. I did manage to squeeze out another 2,000 miles since November, but even I was getting nervous driving the RX. And my wife just plain refused to drive it. Hopefully, these will work for us. No more Goodyears for me.