Transmission Locked In Gear

LVheretic

About 2 years ago, with 100k miles, my engine failed due to complications from oil gel. I was able to produce proof of oil changes and Lexus replaced the engine.

A year ago, the transmission started slipping and eventually went totally into neutral. I changed the fluid and filter and with the exception of no overdrive, the transmission worked/shifted fine until recently.

While driving the car clunked and jerked like it was being thrown into park. Shortly after it refused to move or even roll in neutral. It did make whirring type noise when put in gear. Right now, the wheels will not roll even in neutral so I cant move the vehicle in any direction without forcing.

Any ideas on the problem or how to get it to roll?

Nick/Las Vegas

About 2 years ago, with 100k miles, my engine failed due to complications from oil gel. I was able to produce proof of oil changes and Lexus replaced the engine.

A year ago, the transmission started slipping and eventually went totally into neutral. I changed the fluid and filter and with the exception of no overdrive, the transmission worked/shifted fine until recently.

While driving the car clunked and jerked like it was being thrown into park. Shortly after it refused to move or even roll in neutral. It did make whirring type noise when put in gear. Right now, the wheels will not roll even in neutral so I cant move the vehicle in any direction without forcing.

Nick/Las Vegas

Nick- Is it AWD or FWD? You need to jack it up with a floor jack and see what wheels are locked up. Anything is possible with the problems you've lived with for the last year. It should roll in any gear but park. Make sure it isn't a broken U-joint or CV joint or transfer case gear or rear axle gear or bound up brake caliper or even possibly a wheel bearing that has broken and is locked up. You probably need a new transmission but there are just too many other things that can keep it from rolling. You're going to have to have it towed anyway so get a flatbed wrecker with wheeled dollies (the locked up wheels set on them and they in turn have wheels to roll on) to get it up on the wrecker so you don't do further damage and to get it off when they get it to the repair shop. Probably too many possibilities for us to diagnose over the internet. Good luck!

This transmission failure mode was also experienced by others. You may want to disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes, then re-connect and shift through the gears a few times and then try it. It may not be a long term fix but it may get you going. It worked for this member:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367088

I also remember others having this problem but I am not sure of the outcome. You may want to search on "transmission" both on this forum and the one I provided the link for. You will find a lot of reading on transmission failures.

Nick/Las Vegas

I used two car jacks with wheels under the front to roll the car. Then the towing truck raised the front wheels off the ground and and towed that way, rather than drag it onto the flatbed. Rebuilt the transmission for about $2500 (non-dealer). That was at 150,000n miles and been getting annual fluid changes every year. I drive 30,000 miles /year and at 225,000 it's running like a top. Side note: I use only synthetic motor oil and change oil and filter myself every 6 or 7,000 miles to keep engine sludge free.

code58,

It is an AWD model. I also have tried the disconnecting the battery and shifting through the gears. I have not tried jacking the vehicle up while in neutral to see if any wheel can turn in neutral.

I was kinda thinking it could be a clogged transmission filter.

Nick

If the tranny filter is clogged then you will have problems. The standard filter is nothing more than a wire screen mesh. However aftermarket filters are the standard paper filter medium. Drop the pan and see if it is good or bad news..Dont do a tranny flush, you will not like the results. Good luck...

code58,

It is an AWD model. I also have tried the disconnecting the battery and shifting through the gears. I have not tried jacking the vehicle up while in neutral to see if any wheel can turn in neutral.

I was kinda thinking it could be a clogged transmission filter.

Nick

LVh- A clogged filter would not do that unless it caused oil starvation and totally destroyed the inside of the transmission. (I mean catastrophic). Even then, it would need to lock the convertor up to keep the car from moving. I would still jack it up and report back with what wheels turn or don't turn (front and back since you have an AWD.