My 1998 Es300 Backup Lights Don't Turn On. Please Help

Hello everyone,

I just found out that the backup lights on my 1998 ES300 don't turn on when I shift to reverse. I did check the fuse and the light bulbs, they are all fine. I also did replace the Neutral Safety Switch, nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Speaking about the fuse, I checked the fuse box on the left hand side of the steering wheel, I did not find any fuse for backup light. So can went ahead to check all of them. I checked the code by scanning, all pass. Please help me to solve this issue. I know that there are many experts out there. Thanks so much

Somewhere on the transmission there will be a switch that screws into the transmission case. Its sole purpose will be to trigger the backup lights when you shift into reverse. Either your switch is bad or the connector to it is corroded or has a broken wire. I've never had to trace down one on any of my Toyota/Lexus vehicles, but it makes sense that you'll find it on the sides or top of the tranny, tucked up out of harm's way. You may need to see a shop manual or ask a Toyota Tech to direct you to its location exactly.

Somewhere on the transmission there will be a switch that screws into the transmission case. Its sole purpose will be to trigger the backup lights when you shift into reverse. Either your switch is bad or the connector to it is corroded or has a broken wire. I've never had to trace down one on any of my Toyota/Lexus vehicles, but it makes sense that you'll find it on the sides or top of the tranny, tucked up out of harm's way. You may need to see a shop manual or ask a Toyota Tech to direct you to its location exactly.

I did change the Switch but the problem remains the same. Thanks so much for your advice.