Bridgestone Dueler H/l Alenza Question

Let me ask you folk that know much more about this. I have had my Toyo Proxes S/Ts for about two years and they have been terrific. I do feel that now that I have had them this long that, when on the freeway for example, I tend to have to turn up my radio louder than I used to ...(I just had a birthday and really don't want to attribute it to that, I'd rather blame the tires!). I am thinking of doing what many on this fine forum have done, when the time comes, and give the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas a try.

I now have noticed that there is a Bridgestone Dueler H/L and one that is Bridgestone Dueler H/L "Alenza". Are there two? Are these different? Are the Alenzas quiet? I know that I can look this up, but I want to hear from you Lexus folk. Please respond. I have at least a couple more years of wear on the Toyos but at the same time these have been amazing tires and am torn. I am not even sure if all of the road noise is the tire. How does your 400h sound at and over 60MPH? I have had my 06 with 30K miles on it for three years now. Rey

post-26996-1227129367_thumb.jpg

Hi Rey,

I've had mine on for about 20K now and still love them. When I first got them, I felt they were slightly louder than the OE Michelins but not objectionably so. I certainly find them to be quiet at highway speeds and love both their handling and wet-weather road performance. I'll definitely be getting another set but it will be awhile-they're wearing exceptionally well. There are other Dueler H/L's out there so be sure and get the Alenza variant. My sister just put a set on her Volvo XC-90 and is extremely happy with them.

We have approx. 17,000 miles on our Alenzas and we are still very happy with them. There are many tires out there that start out quiet and progressively get noisier as the miles pile up. Thus far, this has not been the case with the Alenzas.

By the way, Consumer Reports rated the General Grabber HTS as #1 with better than average comfort and road noise. However, unless you hear from someone who's had them for many miles, don't buy them. They could turn out to be excellent tires, it's just that we don't know.

In the same CR list, the Michelin LTX M/S is one of the few highly-rated tires to show long tread life.

The quietest tires are the Coper Discoverer CTS and the Yokohama Geolander. They were also rated in the upper half of the list. The Alenzas showed better than average dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, and snow traction.

We have just over 36,000 miles on our Alenza's and have enjoyed them for the whole time. Lexus pointed out they were worn down to 4/32 on the rear and 3/32 on front at 55K service - Bridgestone guarantees 65,000 miles on the tire - they gave us a 40% credit and replaced them for us before winter hit here in Colorado Springs without quibbling about getting down to 2/32. The replacements carry the same mileage warranty and with the lifetime alignment and regular rotations Firestone offer us a no hassle service.

We have just over 36,000 miles on our Alenza's and have enjoyed them for the whole time. Lexus pointed out they were worn down to 4/32 on the rear and 3/32 on front at 55K service - Bridgestone guarantees 65,000 miles on the tire - they gave us a 40% credit and replaced them for us before winter hit here in Colorado Springs without quibbling about getting down to 2/32. The replacements carry the same mileage warranty and with the lifetime alignment and regular rotations Firestone offer us a no hassle service.

Are you guys with the Alenzas going stock or slightly larger size? I thought I read posts here where several recommended a larger size??

My Toyos are 255/55 18" and when I get new tires, possibly the Alenzas, I will stay with the slightly larger than stock tire. They really look much better and actually equalize the onboard MPG computer. Rey

Are you guys with the Alenzas going stock or slightly larger size? I thought I read posts here where several recommended a larger size??

I'm sticking with the stock size.

I haven't had a single problem with the extra bit bigger size except it rides nice and looks great. It's amazing that the extra 1/2 inch makes the car look more like it should! Maybe its the tries but it really handles great with the slightly bigger and wider tires. The original size just looked too small for me. That along with the bumper lip and the removal of the roof rack...well, I think the car looks amazing. To each his own, I know I love what I've done with my "Princess"! Take care..oh, and have a GREAT Thanksgiving this weekend everyone! 11/08 Rey

post-26996-1227736914_thumb.jpg

My wife is now pushing 44,000 miles on her stock 235/55/18 Alenzas mounted on her 2004 RX330 AWD. Their wet-weather performance remains outstanding - these tires refuse to hydroplane, always a good thing. Yes, they are slightly louder than they were at 5,000 miles, but that is what the CD player is for. ALL tires get somewhat louder as they age and wear, some moreso than others. It doesn't help the noise factor that I keep them at 36 to 37 psi yearround in order to maximize the treadlife and gas mileage. But that's okay - these tires are warranteed to 65,000 miles and I fully expect for her to get at least 60,000 miles and perhaps even go the distance to 65K. These Alenzas continue to hold their pressure well and they've never given me a minute's trouble. While a bit pricey, they are unquestionably great tires for a primarily highway-driven SUV. Just keep those pressures up and rotate them at every oil & filter change and they'll do you proud. If you decide to go Bridgestone, make certain it is the Alenza - no other Bridgestone SUV tire is worth your consideration much less your hard-earned money....

My wife is now pushing 44,000 miles on her stock 235/55/18 Alenzas mounted on her 2004 RX330 AWD. Their wet-weather performance remains outstanding - these tires refuse to hydroplane, always a good thing. Yes, they are slightly louder than they were at 5,000 miles, but that is what the CD player is for. ALL tires get somewhat louder as they age and wear, some moreso than others. It doesn't help the noise factor that I keep them at 36 to 37 psi yearround in order to maximize the treadlife and gas mileage. But that's okay - these tires are warranteed to 65,000 miles and I fully expect for her to get at least 60,000 miles and perhaps even go the distance to 65K. These Alenzas continue to hold their pressure well and they've never given me a minute's trouble. While a bit pricey, they are unquestionably great tires for a primarily highway-driven SUV. Just keep those pressures up and rotate them at every oil & filter change and they'll do you proud. If you decide to go Bridgestone, make certain it is the Alenza - no other Bridgestone SUV tire is worth your consideration much less your hard-earned money....

Yes, I am definitely taking your advice on the Alenzas. Thanks for the great input. Rey in L.A.