Es300 Confusion

Lexus2763

Hey guys! I'm new here. I've been having problems with my car as of yesterday and I've been searching online for a possible diagnosis, when it occurred to me, The Lexus Forums would obviously be my best bet. Anyways, let me get to my problem.

This all started a couple days ago. I was on my way back from the grocery store when I felt that the car was losing power. The wheel became stiff and I had to force the car over to the side of the road. I took the key out, waited about 5 minutes, and started the car up again. I figured it was because it was cold and I started the car fairly quickly without any time for the engine to warm up. I parked in front of my house and went inside, didn't think it was a big deal. I told myself that I would warm my car up in the morning and take it on a spin around the block to make sure it didn't happen again.

I went outside to turn my car on yesterday and it wouldn't start. You can hear the engine trying to turn, but it won't make that last step. After 15 minutes of frustration I turned the key and held it. The lights in the dash began to dim, and the car started making a very quick ticking noise. During the ticking noise, the lights in the dash tend to flicker. I tested my wipers, and they were moving slower than normal.

Now, I'm really hoping it's the battery, because that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm waiting for some of my friends to come over to help me jump start it. However, I'm having concerns that it might be the starter or the alternator. I'm pretty sure it can't be the alternator because if it was, I wouldn't have any power at all. So now I'm scared that it might be the starter. Any advice or tips you guys can give me would help a lot. Thanks!!!

My money's on your alternator being shot. The loss of power while running would probably be because your alternator isn't producing enough juice to charge your battery. Then your battery going dead while trying to crank it for 15 mins isn't healthy.

Chances are you'll probably have to replace your alternator and then it'd probably be wise to also replace the battery now that it's gone dead. Once your buddies jump your car (granted that it starts), you can test your alternator with a multimeter to see if it's giving off about 14ish Volts (which would charge the 12V battery while running). Another simpler, stupider test to perform to see if it is, in fact, your alternator, is get the car running for a few mins and then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. If the car is running solely on the weak life of the battery, and it dies immediately, you can safely assume the alternator is toast.

I'm thinking alternator too, but now that you've cranked on it for a long time your starter may not be healthy any more. You really shouldn't crank on it for more than 10 or 20 seconds at a time, and let it rest for a bit before cranking it again. If it won't start in a few seconds, it probably won't start after 5 minutes of cranking either.

Fuel pump maybe? Does it have more than 1/2 tank?

The alternator is probably a good start, get a volt meter and hook it up to check the voltage while the engine is running. You should see 14 to 14.8 volts. I do not recomend disconnecting the battery while the engine is running. This practice was ok with a generator, but on newer cars with more electronics,,, It is a better idea to check the system with a volt meter.