'91 Ls400 Driver's Window Regulator

godpossessed

I have a '91 with 213K miles. I put a new window motor in about 6 months ago and in the last couple of week the window has started making a popping sound when you take it all the way down and start back up. After removing the inside panel and looking inside the door, I noticed that the curved piece of the regulator that the motor gear engages flexes in and out when you change direction. This is where the popping is happening but I don't want to remove the regulator if I don't have to. Any thought?

thanks

Mark

I have a '91 with 213K miles. I put a new window motor in about 6 months ago and in the last couple of week the window has started making a popping sound when you take it all the way down and start back up. After removing the inside panel and looking inside the door, I noticed that the curved piece of the regulator that the motor gear engages flexes in and out when you change direction. This is where the popping is happening but I don't want to remove the regulator if I don't have to. Any thought?

thanks

Mark

No, but keep us posted, mine have 253K & 227K on them and I like to be prepared. good luck.

COME ON, GUYS, LEND A HAND...

post-5365-1226936141_thumb.jpg

Found it. The motor I put on earlier was defective. The shaft that has the drive gear on it had excessive play and was flopping around under power and flexing the regulator. Still under warranty so I'm good to go.

ps - don't ever be an idiot like me and replace the window motor with the regulator in. It can be done with patience and the right tools but the correct way is to remove the 3 bolts holding the window to the regulator arm. Then tape the window in the UP position. Finally, rmove 3 of the 4 bolts holding the regulator to the inner door shell (just loosen the top left one) and unplug the motor from its power source. The whole regulator/motor assembly comes out the large hole on the left of the inner door shell. The motor is real easy to remove and replace at that point.

thanks all