97 Ls400 Std Vs Coach

Belaflek

in 1997, LS had the COACH ED. and standard.

Coach came with nakamichi, 5 spoke aluminum alloy wheels, and most importantly - COACH LEATHER!

Otherwise, the normal 97's had regular leather, standard wheels stock for the 95-97 years, and lexus stereo.

There are probably a few more SUBTLE things but I don't know them......Nothing Mechanically.

An article on the 97 Coach Edition LS400 is at http://www.incentivecentral.org/pages/cs/blexus.html

The 97 Coach LS seems similar to the 2000 Platinum Series in concept. Were both marketed just before an exterior redesign to pump up sales? According to my window sticker, the 2000 Platinum Series package included sun roof, HID, different leather, headed seats, different wood, Nachamichi/indash CD, black chrome badging, and chrome wheels (which look similar to LS430 wheels). There are Platinum Series emblems on each side. The price for the package was a bit over $5K but there was a separate $1,700 "Platinum Series Discount" further down the sticker.

Even though my 2000 LS does not have the some of the more expensive options like Nav and air suspension, my insurer considers the Platinum to be a distinct model and it costs a little more to insure that non-Platinum models that are better equiped. Go figure.

It seems like a pattern that in both Coach and Platinum, the wheels are from the next model year. Does the Coach Edition also have special exterior emblems?

Does anyone know if the Coach Edition and Platinum Series LS's were marketed in other model years? Were there other variations from the factory (let's not talk about those funky vinyl room dealer installed packages!)?

• 1 year later...

Wow sounds like the coach is a real beautiful car with some nice additions.

Does anyone know about the increase in length?

Also this coach leather? What is the difference between regular leather..?

For the most part this car has the rims of the 98 (I love that improvement) and a few extra bells and whistles.. I am going to check one out this Friday..

Is there really that many changes between the 95 and 97..?

Cheers to LEXUS!!~

No difference in length. Lexus usually does a coach edition preceding a model change. Most recently with the RX300. The new owner also got a set of Coach luggage.

They call it coach leather but it probably came from the same cow as the standard leather. :rolleyes:

In addition to "Lexus" and "LS400" the trunk lid also sports a "Coach Edition" badge - that's probably the quickest way to tell the difference ;)

When I bought my 97 LS (used) it had the Nakamichi sound system, and I have since upgraded the stock 97 wheels for a set of chrome 5-spoke 98 LS wheels. All I am missing now is the coach leather and the little badge :)