Night Time Navi Display

The nav display on my 01 LS430 adjusts from day to night. During the day, the map has a white background and at night, it changes to dark.

My 08 RX400h does not seem to make this adjustment. The white map on the dash is very stark for nighttime driving. I can't find a setting to change this. Is it there?

JPF

The nav display on my 01 LS430 adjusts from day to night. During the day, the map has a white background and at night, it changes to dark.

My 08 RX400h does not seem to make this adjustment. The white map on the dash is very stark for nighttime driving. I can't find a setting to change this. Is it there?

JPF

If your dashboard lights are on max, the display ha white backdrop instead of black.

• 4 weeks later...

JPF

If your dashboard lights are on max, the display ha white backdrop instead of black.

X2...turn the lil knob that adjusts your dashboard lighting. If it is all the way maximum, it will click into a detent and will force your nav screen to go to day mode. Turn counter-clockwise enough that it comes out of the detent and you should be good to go.

The other way to force the Nav to be in "Day Mode" is under the display menu. At night, there will be an option at the top called "Day Mode". De-select it if the problem continues.

HTH,

~Brian

I found that feature very annoying when I first got my RX. I got the RX in NY a few days before I drove to the house I bought in TX to spend winters . I didn't have the time to read he owner's multi volume set of books I got with the car. A few days after I got the car I packed it full with a bunch of stuff and headed off the TX house to spend the winter. So when the lights came on and the display got dim I had a hard time seeing my map display and had no choice but to start pushing and turning controls while i drove to make the display viewable. There wasn't a safe lace to pull over to do it. I got the display back to day mode by turning the dash lights to full on but created another problem, the darn dash lights are too bright.

The more I use the NAV the more I hate it, I have a built in factory NAV but find it necessary to keep my Garmin on the dash because the Lexus unit is pure poo poo. Not only is it annoying to not be able to use the NAV while the car is moving, the maps aren't all that good.

Last year I sold both my NY house and TX house and moved to Anderson SC and I depend on the NAV unit to find my way around. I can't count the times I programed the Lexus to go to an address and discovered the Lexus took me miles out of the way because the streets that took me on the shortest route did not exist on the Lexus map. I now use the Garmin map exclusively but it ticks me off that I paid extra for a NAV unit that is inferior to an aftermarket on and I am forced to have a NAV on the dash partially blocking my vision.

The funny thing is I am now on my second Lexus so I knew the limitations of the NAV when I switched from the RX400H to the GS450H but I still wound up with another Lexus because the Lexus is probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. If I had the choice to do it over I would get the NAV again because of the camera, and the cool display for the hybrid battery. But when the lease runs out I may look at other makes to find one with a NAV that works when the car is moving and also one that isn't missing a lot of streets. The new car market is very competitive, if Lexus can't give the customer what they want they will lose sales to companies that are able to give us what we want By the way these streets are not new developments, they have been around for years so they should be in the data base.

Congratulations on the Lexus they make a great car and I am sure you will love it, I just wish they made a NAV equal to the standards of the car.

PS I did buy a lock pick for the RX, but I am not going to spend more money on the GS to be able to use something I already paid for

find one with a NAV that works when the car is moving and also one that isn't missing a lot of streets

Good luck with the 1st one, I think its a law/requirement,

and for the 2nd one, you can just move out of U.S., I never had any problems with missing streets on MY nav :)

To stay on-topic, yea, turn the dashboards lights switch all the way to the right and it goes into day mode.