Exhaust Upgrade

I have 1992 SC400. have several questions about upgrading the exhaust. The only thing I have done so far is knock out the current stock cats, the 2 in the front. It gave it a more throaty sound, not too bad, in my opinion. Could tell a little more top end power. My questions are....

1. Should I remove the other cat in the middle? Why?

2. What brand of exhaust should I get? and why? Looking at Magnaflow?

3. What about a 10" inch x pipe behind the front converters?

4. Should I custom build a system form the cats back that works better?

5. Looking for something silent or quiet at idle, but sounds good when I step on it. Any thoughts or opinions would be great. Please be specific in replies, please... Looking at doing something in the next 2 weeks.

I guess I'm 36..

Magnaflow is okay. It's your preference that counts. opt for a High-Flow Cat if you want to stay legal. It also depends on where you live in AL. They may not enforce the Cat rule.

You only need 2.5-3.0" piping. Custom piping is recommended, and the more straight you can keep the piping the less restrictive your exhaust will be.

A catless exhaust is going to be rather loud and you may get some flames.

I have the same year as you, I recently had a shop clean out the stock cats, remove the muffler in the middle and install 2 excellerator mufflers (I ran them on my Prerunner years ago and they made me happy) It sounds good at idle, nice and deep, as I acclerate it quiets down a little and then if I get on it, it really opens up and gets loud.