Pleaseee Help! Opinions Needed Asap

babylexy

Hi everyone,

I am very confused about what to do with my car, and would really appreciate anyone offering an opinion.

I bought my car (used) in June of this year. Since then, I have been having non-stop problems with this car.

I have done 3 transmission fluid changes, rear diff fluid change, replaced the mass air flow sensor, replaced the battery, got new brake pads, and today i found out that I need to replace my water pump, which will cost me $700.

I am also thinking that this car was probably in an accident, because I have no third brake light, and when I open the trunk with my remote, it flies open with too much force, which I don't think it is supposed to do.

I just purchased winter tires for my car, but haven't gotten them installed yet, so there is a chance that I can get my money back for them..

So my question is, should I sell the car and take my losses, or just keep on fixing it?

Hi everyone,

I am very confused about what to do with my car, and would really appreciate anyone offering an opinion.

I bought my car (used) in June of this year. Since then, I have been having non-stop problems with this car.

I have done 3 transmission fluid changes, rear diff fluid change, replaced the mass air flow sensor, replaced the battery, got new brake pads, and today i found out that I need to replace my water pump, which will cost me $700.

I am also thinking that this car was probably in an accident, because I have no third brake light, and when I open the trunk with my remote, it flies open with too much force, which I don't think it is supposed to do.

I just purchased winter tires for my car, but haven't gotten them installed yet, so there is a chance that I can get my money back for them..

So my question is, should I sell the car and take my losses, or just keep on fixing it?

I bought my car (used) in June of this year

What year? How many miles? How much did you pay for it? How many miles are on the car now? And how much do you owe on it?

I have done 3 transmission fluid changes, rear diff fluid change,

Why would you have done 3 trans fluid changes? And the differential oil should be replaced on a schedule. As well as the battery every 3-5 years depending. And brake pads wear out all the time on all cars. Once in the time you have owned the car could be just regular scheduled maintanance. I wouldn't call that a problem.

As for your trunk lid, and brake light, I wouldn't exactly just contribute those issues to an accident. But it is possible. It could also be that the person who owned the car before you had the factory spoiler option on the trunk. Which contains the third brake light. And may have had it removed. ( It's not very hard.) Which would also explain why the lid opens so quick, as the weight of the spoiler isn't there any more. And the lid could also be from just having the trunk adjusted or modified to open the way it does. I've owned 4 IS300's, and everyone of them the trunk opened quicker or slower than the other. The 05 was the best one, it just "popped" open and would open all the way almost perfectly, unless the wind caught it.

to replace my water pump, which will cost me $700.

Where did that quote come from? and does that include replacing the timing belt? Again, how many miles do you have the car right now? If your in the 80k-100k miles range, this also could just be scheduled maintanance.

MAF ( mass air flow sensor) replacement is somewhat a issue I see come up. That and the 02 sensors can be annoying, but atleast they are relatively cheap, and easy to replace.

My car is an 03, with 78,000 km on it. I paid $21,000 with taxes. When I bought it, it had 68,000 km. I owe about $14,000 on it.

The reason why I had so many transmission fluid change is bc after I had the first one done at a small mechanic shop I started having problems with the car, and it turned out that there was too much fluid. They emptied some out, and after a week when I checked, there was still too much fluid. So I did another one at Lexus bc I thought that the small shop didn't do it right. Then I noticed that the problem was almost gone, but the car wasn't perfect. So my dad took my car to his mechanic and his mechanic said that there was hardly any fluid in there, so he just filled it up.

I was thinking what you said about the previous owner having a spoiler.. but would I be able to tell if there was a spoiler which has been removed? Because there are no signs of it, the trunk looks perfect.

My dad's mechanic gave him that $700 quote about the water pump..I still have to find out if that includes the timing belt. But if it does include the timing belt, does that seem reasonable to you?

Going by what you said so far, I am thinking that it would be better to just fix it and keep it, but let me know what you think about it now.

Thanks again for your opinions, this is my first car so I don't know what should be expected.

One more thing about why I'm thinking it might have been in an accident..

The rear diff plate is rusted, but the differential itself is not.

Also, the back of the car looks higher than the front, as if the back springs had been replaced.

One more thing about why I'm thinking it might have been in an accident..

The rear diff plate is rusted, but the differential itself is not.

Also, the back of the car looks higher than the front, as if the back springs had been replaced.

I don't know, I think it's still a reach. If that car was hit hard enouph to have the differential cover replaced, you'd probably notice alot more wrong with the car than having new rear coil springs. If you really want to know, then open the trunk and remove the liner. Look for odd cuts and welds and balpein hammer marks somehwere. If there are none, then your fine.

All cars are going to have maintanance costs. Lexus is probably a little bit more because of the name, but that's just part of it. You can also take it to a Toyota dealership and have work done there for less. And it sounds like your dad has an independant mechanic already.

My car is an 03, with 78,000 km on it
My dad's mechanic gave him that $700 quote about the water pump..I still have to find out if that includes the timing belt. But if it does include the timing belt, does that seem reasonable to you?

The water pump alone is going to cost $150-200 if you go with aftermarket, and around $250 if you go the dealer for OEM. Labor is booked at 6 hours. So, if that includes replacing the timing belt, its an ok price. If not, then it's on the too high side. But your car is at the mileage that the timing belt should be getting replaced soon, and most places recommend replacing the water pump while your there because it's so hard and expensive to get that done later by itself anyway.

It's possible somewhere along the way someone used the wrong type of transmission fluid. I'd check and see that the correct fluid is in there now.

The water pump could have gone out if the previous owner didn't keep the coolant changed on time. Coolant has some lubricant and corrosion inhibitor that wears out over time.

Smooth,

He stated he had 76K km on the car. That equates to about 48K miles. What's the recommended interval for the timing belt/water pump? Isn't it 90K miles? If not, I'm waaaay overdue. Let me know.

Ken

:blushing:

Just noticed that little km after the huge 76K part. Your right, that's only about 49K miles or so. But, if the water pump is bad and needs to be replaced, I think I would be on the fence about replacing the timing belt anyway while your there. 48k miles?? HHmmmm........ You would still be prolonging the next time it would need to be replaced. But I would understand those who decide to just replace the water pump also.

No, I wouldn't say it's normal, but it does happen. It's just one of those things, you know? It's good that it does include replacing the timing belt. It sounds like your dad has a good mechanic. $700.00 for both is a fair price.

Heck yeah, I'd replace it if you are going to all of the trouble to replace the water pump. Is it a pretty difficult job to do? Can you list what parts need to come off in order to correctly get at the timing belt?

Ok, this is straight from memory, It's better if I have the motor in front of me, but....the parts I would get together are a new water pump, belt tensioner, new drive belt, timing belt, thermostat,new radiator fluid, spark plugs, wd-40 and some carb and choke cleaner. Then I would start with taking the air box and intake piping off. Then remove the under panels and center pan underneath the car. Drain the coolant, disconnect the radiator hoses and brackets, all the electrical wiring etc., and the transmission fluid line from the radiator and then pull the radiator out. Then take the drive belt off and set it to the side, your gonna need it later. then take off all the timing belt housing covers off. Now here is where it gets kind of "idealistic" if you will. The way I look at this is at this point, I have all these parts off and out of the way, so I would also remove the throttlebody and clean it out real good. I would also pull ignitors and change the spark plugs out now too. Inspecting all the wires and hoses while I'm there. Then I would mark all the timing pulleys, and timing belt, and crank position. Next is removing the crank pulley. :) Yeah. the major nut buster! I have a 5 foot bar I use over a chain wrench. Since I have found this way, I haven't had to exceed I would say 90% muscle capacity since. LOL!!! And that drive belt you set aside earlier? I take that and wrap it around the pully, then put the chain wrench over it and lock it down, then torque off the pully. That way the chain doesn't chew up the pulley. Then, being careful not to turn any of the pulleys, take off the timing belt. Next I would now replace the water pump, then put the new tensioner in, ( I've also found keeping the pin in it until after you put the new timing belt on makes things a little easier when your lining up the teeth on the timing belt. Once it's back on, it's pretty much everything listed in reverse and your done.

I found out more bad news about my car..

while it was at the mechanic shop getting the water pump & timing belt replaced, a customer reversed into it and damaged the bumper.

I have another question...how can I tell if the transmission fluid is leaking? I park my car in my garage every nite, and have never noticed any fluid on the floor...but every time I take the car to my mechanic (twice in the last 2 months), he has had to pour 1-2 bottles of fluid in bc the level is always too low.