Obd1 Or Obd 2

:huh: I am new on here and I have been reading alot of post on this issue,is the 1994 lexus es 300 obd 1 or 2,I check under my dash and where the scanner would go,it is more like a circle.I have a obd 2 scanner that I use on my 2004 acura tl and it wont fit in my 1994 es 300.Can some 1 help on this issue.Thanks

1982-1995 is OBDI, so that would make yours OBDI. OBDII is 1996+ model years.

I would have to disagree. Lexus started using OBDII on the ES300 in 1994. '93 and older model years are OBDI, '94 and newer are OBDII, on the ES only. The LS400 switched in 1996. Lexus always introduces new technology 1 model at a time to reduce the number of problems they might have. So, in 1994 they put OBDII in the ES300 along with the first introduction of coil packs instead of a distributor. Then in 1996 they began introducing those features in the LS and SC models.

• Like 1

Well, there's no port for the OBDII code reader. Here's a Q&A I found on the topic:

Question

I have a 94 ES300 and seems that 94 and 95 is an in-between year for code readers. It's not a obd1 or an obd2. I had to go to a Toyota dealer for a read and they charged me $97.00. I have an obd1 and it is not good for these years. The obd2 is only good for 96 and up and has a different connection. Do you have any ideas.

Answer

You can also retrieve the code by jumping the two terminals under the hood. TE1 and E1. 95 ES300's have the DCL3 port by fuse box.

JP IMPORTZ

Hmm... seems to be a 'tweener'.

• 1 year later...

I have a 1995 Es300 and It is OBD2 there is a connector Left side of the dash where the fuses are right next to them.

Problem is I have a P0402 code in mine and don't know if I should replace the EGR valve or do something else.

Can any one advise....?

phil

EGR is nothing but pipe. open , clean and install with new gasket. Make sure when you clean both side, dust (Carbon) should fall outside. you needs to change upper part of EGR.

which has electrical connection. mine was 97 ES300. I had same error code and i end up spending only $35

Orailly selling for $35 if i remember EGR500 is part no. please confirm with them your car model and year.

Hope that helps.

I have a 1995 Es300 and It is OBD2 there is a connector Left side of the dash where the fuses are right next to them.

Problem is I have a P0402 code in mine and don't know if I should replace the EGR valve or do something else.

Can any one advise....?

phil

I looked up the code P0402, and it is for excessive egr flow. There are several things that can cause this, such as a stuck egr valve, stuck vsv valve, short in the vsv valve ciruit, or lastly a problem with the egr temp sensor.

How does the car idle? I would assume that the egr valve is closing because if it was stuck open at idle, the idle would be so rough that you would have mentioned that.

So I would suggest starting with the last item. The egr temp sensor. There is a thermistor located on the egr tube, when egr flows this thermistor is heated up. When the senor is hot, the resistance is low, and the ECM reads this resistance to verify that the egr is flowing. So if you have a DVM, wait or the engine to cool, and measure the resistance of the sensor. According to Alldata, it should be around 2.5k ohms when cold. If it reads significantly less than you have found the problem. I would recomend taking the dvm to the auto parts store to verify the resistance of the new sensor before you buy it. Just in case my manual is wrong. Generally a auto part store will not allow you to return a electrical item, but I have yet seen one that will not let you measure the resistance when you are standing at the counter.

:huh: I am new on here and I have been reading alot of post on this issue,is the 1994 lexus es 300 obd 1 or 2,I check under my dash and where the scanner would go,it is more like a circle.I have a obd 2 scanner that I use on my 2004 acura tl and it wont fit in my 1994 es 300.Can some 1 help on this issue.Thanks

My 94 has the OBD II port behind the fuse panel at the lower left side of the dash. My kid pulled the codes tonight. I don't know the build date off-hand, not sure if there was a change within the year.