Power Steering.

jcrome04

I just pulled out a flashlight the other day to look at the bottom of my PS reservoir. And the beginning of one of the two hoses around the clamp looks wet like it's got some fluid on it.

I haven't lost any fluid at all on the dipstick, ever. So it can't be leaking much at all.... if it is leaking

I guess my question is.... is this something I should be concerned about? Are there any steps I could take to make sure nothing happens?

I know I still need to do the solenoid cleaning....

(97, currently at +153k)

JC, besides the solenoid on the rack you should check/clean/replace the acv on the pump and the reservoir screen filter. Also might want to check your rack, especially the end caps for any leakage. Here's a pic of the screen for 93-94. Don't think they've changed all that much for your series:

psreservoirfilter.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
just pulled out a flashlight the other day to look at the bottom of my PS reservoir. And the beginning of one of the two hoses around the clamp looks wet like it's got some fluid on it.

Can you take a pic and post it?

• 2 weeks later...
... There's only 3 bolts and the hoses. ...

Sounds easy, but all it takes is for one of those hoses (or bolts) to be a PITA to make the whole job a PITA. On my 1991 LS400 (~160k), I needed to remove the PS return line at the reservoir, for some reason that I now forget (flushing PS?). The hose had basically cooked itself on there. Very brittle, yet still strong, and seemed like it was glued on. I ended up having to destroy the hose to remove it.

But yours might be easy to R+R. You never know. Good luck.

Ed

How can a hose be VERY brittle, but still VERY strong???????? :huh: :huh:

Well it was. When trying to use pliers to work it free, it would crack on the surface. Yet enough of it would hold together, and the sub-surface parts were almost like they were glued on to the reservoir pipe. I quickly conceded that it would be destroyed in the removal process, and it still was very difficult to remove. Hope yours is not like it.