Head Gasket Project

Lex3486

Finally got started on my car today! We've got about halfway into it and are doin good so far; only problem we've had is that we can't get the pulleys on the camshafts loose, but my dad's workin on it. I'm so ready to get it back on the road; it's been at least a month since I've driven it! Wish me luck! B)

post-7-1072483482.jpg

Well, we got the heads off today and did find some strange things inside there. The rear far-right hand side piston (not sure of the number) was a strange reddish orange color and had almost no buildup on the piston, unlike the others; we think this is where the gasket was leaking. All the rest seem to be pretty uniform so we don't think we had any problems anywhere else. Now we have to get the heads cleaned and machined and get some new gaskets (replacing most of the ones involved in the whole teardown, just to be safe, unless they're too expensive...) Anyhow, since I can't seem to get the pics to work, I'm gonna send em to Alan if he'll tell me his email address so y'all can see what's up. I'll keep y'all posted, and thanks so much for all the help everyone's given leading up to this repair! Y'all have been lifesavers! ;)

Are you sure it's the headgasket ? not the freeze-plug? I'm very familiar with these V6 engine. Are you going to replace the valve steam seals? Let me know if you need any parts.

www.jpimportz.org

Freeze plug? ...hmm, never even heard of it! Please elaborate! But anyhow, we found that the far driver side piston on the rear bay seems to be much cleaner than the rest and has a reddish-orange hue to it, indicating possibly that it's had a "steam cleaning" with antifreeze lol. Also, the gasket near this head looks a little suspicious, so...As for the valve stem seals, I doubt that we'll replace them, just b/c the car doesn't burn much oil at all, nor does it smoke except on initial startup, so I don't think we'll pay to have them replaced, and we don't really wanna do it ourselves. Tomorrow we're gonna attempt to find a good machine shop and get the heads cleaned, inspected for cracks, resurfaced, etc; also need to start pricing head gaskets as well as some other gaskets that we wanna replace while we're at it. The timing belt appears to be fairly new and the previous owner told us that it had been replaced recently along with the valve cover gaskets, so we're good there. Now all we need is to get it back together with new parts. Oh, and a miracle from God to get it back together correctly and in proper order! :lol: ;)

I would replace the valve steam seals if I was you. You have everything out.....It would take another 3 hrs to do them. But it is up to you. Here are the gaskets that you need: headgaskets, valve cover gaskets and cam seals. If you need any help putting it back together let me know. Remember not to swap the cams otherwise it won't start. Also put the valve buckets in order. Good luck.

www.jpimportz.org

Cam seals? Wha? Where do these go? Are those the black rubber oil seals that are on the ends of the cams where the cam pulleys go? I don't think I need new valve cover gaskets; they're new and they don't leak. I plan on just puttin a little gasket sealant on them when I go back with 'em.

Priced around today and found that Lexus sells a gasket kit for $340; this includes head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, downpipe gaskets, intake gaskets, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals and fuel injector seals. Advance Auto sells a kit made by Felpro (a well established gasket manufacturer) for $260 that includes everything the Lexus one does only no valve stem seals; I wanna replace these too, so I'm torn between the two kits. Anyone had any experience with either? I'm thinking I should go with the Lexus ones b/c they're OE and they include the valve stem seals... :huh: <_<

I'd go for the extra bucks and get factory parts. I haven't done any heavy duty engine repairs recently, but when I did, I always found out, that's the best way to go. ;)

Well guys, in the end, it all came down to price; both sets had the exact same parts, and the machine shop we took the heads to said that they do lots and lots of these for Lexuses (my local dealer sends em to them for repair :o ) and he recommended the FelPro set; said they're excellent parts and that he uses them himself, so I figure why not take the pros' advice? Especially when it costs less! Anyhow, dropped off the heads and valve stem seals and he's gonna clean, inspect and resurface em; also puttin the new valve seals in for us, so now all I lack is them doin that and us cleanin up the engine some, and I'll be back on the road hopefully by the end of this weekend! B)

I'll be back on the road hopefully by the end of this weekend!  B)

I hope you can get your car back together soon, Lex. I hate having to drive anything(especially Suburbans...what awful machines!) but my Lex. It's easy to get spoiled to their smooth powertrain and ride. Another thing that is different from a lot of other cars, is the brake pedal firmness...it is just about perfect to me...not spongy but not a brick either. Good luck

BTW, I'm sure JPI can get you a nice discount on the OEM gaskets.

:cheers:

Yeah, I hope I get it back soon too lol. And you're certainly right about bein spoiled by the Lex...try drivin a 6000+lb. Land Cruiser with only 185hp and spongy brakes w/o ABS and more body roll than even our Lexuses in the twisties...fun stuff. Oh well; it could be worse! Already bought the gaskets, or I might have consulted JPI.

Got the heads back finally. Ooh man, they look goood; I almost don't wanna put em back in, they look so good :lol: and they tested out good, so it's all gravy from here on. Wish me luck slappin it all back together! With any luck and no surprises, I'd bet I'll be back on the road with it by Friday, but we'll just have to see ;)

Success! We got it back together last night. Started it up first time and discovered that we'd left a gas line loose on the fuel filter, so we lost about a gallon of gas on the floor :blushing: . Then after we fixed that, tried to start it again and the battery was too dead, so we put it on charge. Finally started it a second time, and it idled funny; discovered we'd neglected to connect the new PCV valve to it's vaccum hose, so we did that and it purred like a kitten B) We proceeded to get a new battery and when we returned with it, I popped it in and turned it over and was about to go on my first test drive...well, the second I started it, I smelled an overwhelming gas odor, so I turned it off and proceeded to find the problem. All three fuel injectors on the rear bank were leaking gas everywhere like crazy, so I had to tear the intake off again. FINALLY about 7:30 (we started at like noon) I started it up and drove it. Runs like a top; much much more powerful and responsive (thanks to a good internal cleanup) and has much more throttle response. No overheating either. Now, I'm back to the transmission...it's still actin up. But at least it's driveable...well, it runs good...so much for driveable <_<

I didn't see this post lol....I'm busy with work. I used other gaskets set before but nothing can touch Toyota parts(beleive me I replaced at least 4 of these engine a week). I'm glad that got it back together. Make sure plug the power steering pump connector, otherwise you will run hot. HOw did you have the cam gear prockets? bank 2 lip inner? bank2 lip outter. Not too bad for a rookie. Let's have some :cheers:, shall we?

www.jpimportz.org