Brake Rotor Life

I have nearly 30K miles on my 2007 IS 350. I took my car into the Lexus dealership today expecting to have my pads replaced and rotors flipped. They tried to tell me that my rotors need to be REPLACED! Obviously, I said they were crazy.

I do drive very aggressively and expected to go through my pads between 30K and 40K miles. But, this is nuts.

Either one of two things is going on...

1) My dealership is trying to take me for a ride. This would be very disappointing from a dealership that has treated very well in the past.

or

2) Lexus severely compromised brake-life for smoothness and performance to an unacceptable level.

I am not new to "peformance" cars. I had a brand new 2004 Corvette before I had my IS. This one is a new one for me.

Any thoughts? Am I getting a line of B.S. from the dealership? (which I 99.9 % certain I am)

I have 31k on my 2006 IS 250 and my rotors and pads are nowhere near needing replacement. Hard driving will wear down pads and rotors more quickly, but 30k seems too early. Take your IS350 to a reliable independent shop with ASE certified technicians and see what they say. Keep us apprised.

• 4 weeks later...
I have 31k on my 2006 IS 250 and my rotors and pads are nowhere near needing replacement. Hard driving will wear down pads and rotors more quickly, but 30k seems too early. Take your IS350 to a reliable independent shop with ASE certified technicians and see what they say. Keep us apprised.

I'm at 22,500K Milage on my IS350 and today the dealership said the rotors and pads need replacing.

Did they say why they need replaced?

If its because they're warn thin, they can take you back and show you as they measure.

If its because of physical damage (cracked, etc) they can show you that too.

If its because they're warped, you should be able to feel it.

I took my car in 4,000 miles ago, and was told I didn't need new brakes yet, there was 5 mm left. Don't know what that means. But the brakes have been squealing for a while now, and I"m getting sick of it. Hubby says it's not a sensor, that all brakes squeak. I will take it in, in another 1,000 miles, and it will be 39,000 at that time. .....