06 300 Awd - Finally Got Rid Of The Crap!

Getting rid of a car because of these noises...is anyone else thinking the same???

HMMM your all scaring me now. I just brought a 2007 GS 350 off lease. Funny thing is that no one every deleted the phone book so today when I bonded my phone I saw all the old numbers. I was tempted to call the previous owners home number and see how they liked the car, but I found this forum so no need to freak them out like that!!!!

Anyway I just got rid of a 2006 A4 2.0T. It was fun, has a great german ride for sure. But the issues were killing me!!! I cruised through the 50K coverage about 50K ago. I was up for a timing belt and my third set of tire.

The main issue for me was:

Coolant leak, not coming from the reservoir or the bleeder tube so that was going to be $$ to fix

Miss firing... I had the car back to two Audi dealers 3 times for misfiring in the engine. Initial starts the engine would pulse and stutter for the first 15 minutes. Then after that you could feel it on acceleration in the 2K-3K RPM range while you were shifting it felt like the engine was out of balance.

Good luck on the MB. We went the MB route but that was in the 2000 and it was also plagued with Chryslerish issues and the style changes every 2 years that they look out of date quick...

Got my fingers crossed for the GS it has 30,000 miles on it now so I was interested in reliability based on my Audi experience. Had the Audi been reliable I would still have it. It is an excellent ride, excellent handling, and great in the Snow.

I just got a ES350. The dealer had a driver pick me up for the delivery in a GS350; I thought the GS was really nice and since the ES350 column is quiet I looked over here and saw this thread.

The ES will replace my 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Frontrak. The Audi (with 85,000 miles) has a great radio, incredible seats, is almost as quiet as the Lexus, and great steering feel (although new ones are electric steering and numb). The downside was replacing the rear window because the antenna never did work if the rear defroster was on, replacing the windshield wiper rack (I was lucky, only $350) and then the computer system on the transmission failed ($2,300). A windshield washer needs to be fixed ($600), the rear window lock control needs to be fixed ($?), it will need a 3rd set of tires soon and I don't think the timing belt will make it to the suggested 105,000 miles before it needs to be replaced. There is a persistent rattle in the overhead console (already paid $150 to get that fixed once). Oh yeah, it is starting to use oil. Love to drive the car; tired of putting money in it. I would loved to have gotten another Audi but I just don't feel they have a shot at going high mileage without relentless repair bills.

My Mercedes ML320 was worse. Just as bad as its reputation suggests. Although the seats were also wonderful; 5 hours at a time was no problem. However, the dealer had the attitude that repair bills were part of the MB experience/mystique.

No, Lexus isn't perfect and unfortunately the GS seems to be causing growing pains for Lexus. However, I do not know any MB, BMW or Audi owners that go over 100,000 miles unless they put a lot of money into their cars. And yet, it isn't that hard to find Lexus owners who do. I'm hoping my ES is one of the good ones. Also hoping the GS improves.

There is a quite a bit of issues with the B6 A4, but you are right, German cars will always cost more to keep. The pay off is that, most German cars are more enjoyable cars.

At the same time, According to the most recent long term reliability report, German cars are the most improve as far as reliability is concerned. I must agree though, Lexus did not improve because its already at the top :) Reliability is a concern of mine, but it has the same priority as, styling, interior, built quality, handling, accelaration, noise level and ride comfort.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought an 06 GS300 AWD about 4 months ago expecting a very quiet, well-built, reliable car...well, reliable it has been but it's been a very squeaky, rattly ride til i just couldn't take the little eeks and the cheap plastic sounds the car made at every little bump and everywhere i touched inside the car, like the middle storage area, the plastic on the doors, etc. The car felt SOOOOO flimsy. I even had the dealer wrap felt around every part of the front dash and it only made the noise lower in volume. I can't believe that a 3 year old Lexus that cost over $50k new should behave like this.

So after 4 months of this crap, i finally got rid of it. Went to a dealer and traded for a 04 E500 4Matic with similar miles for an even trade. The MB is totally solid. No squeaks or rattles, just that solid feel.

I don't think I'll ever go back to Japanese. Sure MB might be less reliable but I'll trade the daily serenity for a bit less reliability ANY DAY. The noises were driving me nuts and the passengers usually told me that i should take the car to the dealer for the noises.

Getting rid of a car because of these noises...is anyone else thinking the same???

yep, i'm almost in the exact same position. I bought the same car about 5 months ago, used, with 20k miles. Has ML/Nav/Vented-heated seats/rear sunshade/moonroof/ etc etc. Everything except radar cruise and parking sensors. I paid $35,500 back in may. seems like everyone here claims they have been getting the same car for under $30k.

anyway, i have the same irritating squeeks, rattles, and odd interior noises. Took it to one dealer, who did the right A-pillar fix, and that did silence a persistent rattle. But over the past few months, i'm getting and endless creak on the left side, the console rattle, and just like you describe every little bump sets off a cacophony of minor but noticeable noises. It's just so frustrating.

took it back to a different dealer, and they of course said "Nothing we can do. technician didn't notice anything unusual. The first dealer did the whole dash kit fix already."

A $50,000 2 year old Lexus with under 25k on the clock should not sound like this. It doesn't feel or look cheap, but it sounds cheap. I've driven rental Kias that rattles less.

cant sell it now, not in this economy.

i feel completely hosed, and *BLEEP*ed off. I hate Lexus, I hate driving it because my expectations were so high.

Thats $ucks man

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Lexus but they truly are amazing cars, at least the older ones are, never driven a newer one.

My 08 GS was my 5th Lexus I have own in the last 15 years or so, each newer lexus I have owned have gooten worst in quality, the GS being the worst. You are right, Lexus doesnt built them like they use to.

I own both an RX330 and GS450h and I find that the GS is the more solid out of the two. I have had several rattles to deal with in the RX, but none in the GS and I'm nearing 10,000 miles. The only problem I have had with the GS is a left front parking sensor always telling me it was dirty when it wasn't.

I think the 2008 Model refresh brought with it some improved quality and design to eliminate some of the problems experienced in the 06-07 cars. Or maybe they pay more attention to the higher ranking GSs? Whatever they did worked for me! And I am very excited about the 2010 RX450h!

Lexus didnt do anything for the 08 GS as far as rattles are concerned, there are just as many 08 owner who has rattles as the 07 owners. You being from the bay area may not experience this because of the warmer climate. Lexus is suppose to fix the rattle issues in the 09 GS, well will have to wait and see on that one.

• 4 weeks later...
Lexus didnt do anything for the 08 GS as far as rattles are concerned, there are just as many 08 owner who has rattles as the 07 owners. You being from the bay area may not experience this because of the warmer climate. Lexus is suppose to fix the rattle issues in the 09 GS, well will have to wait and see on that one.

I moved from a beemer 5xi to the GS 350.

(I had to get rid of my BMW due to maintenance issues just after two years, it was in the shop for almost 30 days for one or the other reasons not related here.)

I was glad when I test drove the GS and decided to get this instead of the E Class due to high maintenance ( My family owns one).

The GS was quiter than the beemer even the tires were noisy , the ride was cushy and comfortable and the interior way ahead than my old BMW.

as winter approached I started hearing sueaks from the dash board whenever I hit a bump. I took it to the dealer and tey replaced the dash console.

the noise came back again this winter. My wife started complaining as she is embarassed to pick up friends. although no one ever noticed it.

I thought of getting rid of the car and started looking around for a replacement again before I realized none of the cars I was looking at were as quiet as the GS minus the rattle.

I took back to the dealership and they repaired the console / dash again it is quiet for now.

Mean while i excahnged the GS for a RX with my brother for daily use temporarily.

I found his new RX 08 had more road engine noise compared to my GS.

His feed back was I am being paranoid/ picky to complain and this is what happens when you donot listen to music in you car and leave your brain/ears idle.

I hoping it never comes back or i will trade it.

despite the abuse of NY roads, and me constantly ripping out the interior of my car... I've got no squeaks at all on my 02 gs200... no rattles either...

hey, that's a keeper. unlucky meeee... :(

Yeah, we don't all have the same luck with cars. My 91 LS is virtually mint, drives and looks like a new car. I'll be keeping this one. Prob driving it less, because I don't think I could find a replacement in the same condition if I ever cracked it. I know what you mean about the German cars though. Despite the probs you read on the forums and here as well, my 5 series bimmer never caused me grief and was as tight when I sold it as when I bought it. I guess I was lucky. The only reason I let it go, was I got a great offer from a friend who appreciated the condition I kept it in. He's since totalled it. A buddy has a rock solid '95 911 and the only things he's done with it is change the oil and put on a whaletail. I think sometimes you either luck out or you're out of luck. I also think if you take proper care, you have a better chance of making whatever car you have a "keeper". I'd love to get another bimmer, just don't know whether the quality is there any more. I know one thing for sure, I'll be getting another Lex. ;)

The GS was quiter than the beemer even the tires were noisy , the ride was cushy and comfortable and the interior way ahead than my old BMW.

I agree, BMW does have crappy interiors. Both the E class and the Audi A6 are quieter than the GS. The A6 handles better than the GS and yet the ride is just as comfortable. German cars have come a long way in reliability, they have made the more improvement in the last 5 years in reliability. Just stay away from the 1st or 2nd year design German cars and you will be fine.