Proud New Owner Of A Gs400

After owning 8 Toyotas, I figured it was time to step up a notch. Earlier today (10/18) I purchased a 1998 GS400. It has the gold package and navigation. Every thing on the car is in great working order and not a single blemish, save a few (2-3) tiny rock chips on the hood. I hope to learn a lot about the car along with other thighs on this forum.

I do have a few questions though.

-What is an average price to have the timing belt changed at Lexus? And what is the price for just labor (already have parts)?

-I filled the tank with 91 octane today. Would 89 octane be acceptable?

Thank you.

I would always put premium in the tank. I believe in the owners manual it dictates premium and only less if in an emergency temporary situation. Anything less may cause detonation and be bad for the motor. To replace timing belt is too much! They usually include it in the 90k service or something like that. I think it's around $1500 or so. You'd have to call your local Lexus dealer to get a specific quote as they all differ a little.

I would always put premium in the tank. I believe in the owners manual it dictates premium and only less if in an emergency temporary situation. Anything less may cause detonation and be bad for the motor. To replace timing belt is too much! They usually include it in the 90k service or something like that. I think it's around $1500 or so. You'd have to call your local Lexus dealer to get a specific quote as they all differ a little.

its timing belt, spark plugs, idle pulleys, maybe cam seals, water pump, accessory belt, check radiaotr hoses, plugs, etc etc. just do all these at the same time to save yourself some time/headache! i had my buddies shop do them, paid 500 for all the parts and like 400 for labor! but i know them well and use them alot! imho dont go to the stealership for this

brian

damn, 1300 isn't cheap....buy the part online, stick with OEM, and have a reputable shop do the job... use the money you saved and buy yourself a 5 year supply of little tree air freshners or pay bills whatever...

what about using the extra $ for hookers? how can u hate hookers? they leave when u/they done and don't ever complain! not that i would know or anything :whistles: nah im just kidding about icky hookers! but no buy the parts yourself and like he said find a reputable shop YOU TRUST and you should be able to save. i went all out and did stuff i didn't need to do and still saved $ ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and check ball joints while your there! im fixing to do mine! oh and dont cheap out on the gas...JUST USE THE 93 OR HIGHEST GRADE YOU GET. i wanted to run race gas at half a tank once just to see but no1 in Memphis carries it anymore!

brian

• 2 weeks later...
Pictures from an hour ago:

l_918e3b2bf4fa8346d81036c91a14dc5b.jpg

l_e55e5eb778e6e9d808f215822831c363.jpg

l_b9e816d94ae34291e7a993aa4d1ba5ee.jpg

l_04d76d7ae408b4e483f106d083416af4.jpg

car looks great. now do the 01 headlight/taillight upgrade.

ick so u have the crappy harddrive version of our nav...........that sucks. last update for you was a 2004

brian

I had my local dealer do the t-belt on my 98 GS 400. Four and a half hours labour, did the serpentine belt, and installed eight spark plugs. Bill for all that was about $800.00 Canadian. If the cam seals aren't leaking, don't do them. If the water pump isn't leaking, don't replace it. If the tensioner and idler pulleys are OK don't replace them. It's a Lexus fer crissakes, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Maybe Canadian dealers are different - I have NEVER felt ripped off by mine.

car looks great. now do the 01 headlight/taillight upgrade.

ick so u have the crappy harddrive version of our nav...........that sucks. last update for you was a 2004

brian

I'd like to buy some 01+ tails because I have a small crack in the passenger outer housing. I have the OEM HIDs, do the 01+ housings distribute light better? I also have the auto adjusting feature, would that be compromised?

Let's say I found a GS430 (01-05) in a junkyard with nav., could I remove the system, (screen/controls, wiring, unit in the rear) and install it in my car?

I live in the North West part of Las Vegas and I will tell you nothing here was built around 2004. Ok, so a few stores, but it has REALLY grown. Could I get an update for 2008 pr possibly 2009 (if I were to wait) if I could install the DVD based navigation?

Thank you.

I'd like to buy some 01+ tails because I have a small crack in the passenger outer housing. I have the OEM HIDs, do the 01+ housings distribute light better? I also have the auto adjusting feature, would that be compromised?

Let's say I found a GS430 (01-05) in a junkyard with nav., could I remove the system, (screen/controls, wiring, unit in the rear) and install it in my car?

I live in the North West part of Las Vegas and I will tell you nothing here was built around 2004. Ok, so a few stores, but it has REALLY grown. Could I get an update for 2008 pr possibly 2009 (if I were to wait) if I could install the DVD based navigation?

Thank you.

no they just have a green tint to them, not if u make sure u get factory oem hid headlights. auto adjusting features i believe are internal in the housing.

u could do the nav like that but its more trouble than it would be worth i believe. check with the og's and ask one of them. i know they JUST put out a new update for my generation about 3 weeks ago, they do 2 updates a year but financially isnt worth doing them both. just every other year or something i will do mine. im on 2007 version 7 disc i think

Well, if 2004 is the newest update for the HD based nav, then it's almost pointless for me to even have it. %97 of the time I'm "offroading". What's the advantage of the green tint on th headlight housings? I would think the clear ones look better.

Well, if 2004 is the newest update for the HD based nav, then it's almost pointless for me to even have it. %97 of the time I'm "offroading". What's the advantage of the green tint on th headlight housings? I would think the clear ones look better.

depends on u......if u have a 1998 and the last update they made was a 2004....u atleast 6 years behind not to mention the other 4 years u behind. i would recommend ATLEAST doing the 2004 upgrade so u partially up 2 date

• 5 weeks later...

Congratulations on the new car!

I apologize to go off on a tangent but I am hitting about 95k (nothing major so far, rotors rotated, fluids replaced, alignment) and was starting to look into doing the timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, and everything that goes along with that. I found a kit on ebay. It is sold by FCP (Foreing Car Parts) and it contains 8 items.

OEM Reference #

Timing Belt - 13568-09070

Timing Belt Tensioner - 13540-50030

Timing Belt Idler Bearing - 13505-0F010 (Right)

Timig Belt Ilder Bearing - 13503-50011 (Lower Leff) (13503-0F010)

Water Pump - 16100-59275-83 (16100-59275)

Thermostat - 90916-03100

Thermostat Gasket - 16346-50010

Cam Shaft Seal - 90311-71001 x 2 Pieces!!!

Crank Shaft Seal - 90311-A0001 (Front)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-...%3A1|240%3A1318

ABOVE EBAY LINK EXPIRES 12/19/2008

Thats the link for the ebay site. This kit has all the timing belt parts (idler, tensioner, belt) and also the water pump and the crankshaft and cam shaft seals. Only $297.00 Has anyone had any experience with one of their kits? seems to be complete. I did do a comparison with irontoad.com they were quoting about 500 but that did include sparkplugs.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and responding.