Is Engine Replacement Neccessary ?

lpaul

I have a 2000 ES 300 w/ 81,000 miles. It is misfiring, has a loud clanging noise from the engine and the CEL and TRAC OFF lights are on. It also seems hesitant to shift into high gear.

A local independent Lexus repair shop says there is no compression in one of the cylinders, the piston is coming apart (and causing the clanging) and that he expects the cylinder to be damaged. He says the least expensive fix is replacement with a used engine.

His price for a "tested" 50,000 mi engine, including water pump, t belt, idler, tensioner, plugs, v cover gaskets, tube seals, external cam seals, gaskets, front trans seal and a 12 mo./12,000 mi warranty is $4600.

Two questions: 1. Does eng replacement sound neccessary? 2. Is this a fair price for replacement ?

Thanks !

its possible its just a piston ring, but the way it sounds with clanging as you described. yes. it is nessesary to replace the engine

if you have a good helper whos done it before at your side with a new 1MZ-FE in hand and a proper set of tools you can get it done on the cheap.

Yeah, your engine is coming apart. Engine replacement is the best bet. The Tiger engine 92_96 mentions comes with nearly all the components and is guaranteed to be less than 60K on the ticker. I believe with delivery and install you'll probably have a grand total of around $1600, with half in engine purchase/shipping and the other half in install labor. eBay also has several decent listings, but Tiger has been around and is pretty tried-n-true.

BTW, 92es300_96es300, I think George Jetson meant he has used 'them' and would recommend 'them', meaning the good used low-mileage engines off eBay, not eBay itself.

By ebay, I meant use their "search engine" for japaness engines. The japaness emission laws are so strict that they must replace the engine and trans at around 40 to 60K. there are several companies that import these used engines to the US. These engine usually come complete with alternator, PS pump etc. I quess I was not explicit enough with my answer, I assumed that almost everybody knows what ebay is. PS. The $4600 you were qouted for a used engine is probably one of these japaness engines. With that much of a markup I would strongly sugest getting you car out of there and finding another garage, one that is not trying to rip you off.

That's unreal... for that price, it pretty much pays to replace your engine in lieu of nearly any kind of major engine repair... need new valve seals, get a new engine instead... blown head gasket, in goes a new engine. It's so strange to have engine replacement be the more economical choice, but then there are a TON of these engines out there, so they are cheap. Thanks for sharing your experience, stuarto.