Key Battery

I just purchased a 2009 lexus IS. I was wondering how you know when the battery is getting low in the key???? I have not had this type of keyless entry before, and I would like to know how to solve the problem before it happens?? thank you-

First, I've never had a key battery go. But I'm not one to keep my car long.

I believe as long as you use the two interchangeably (use one for a couple of weeks, the other for a couple of weeks, back and forth), both keys will remain good for a couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to change the battery yourself? I have an '06 IS250, and the battery is just about dead in one of my "keyless entry/start" keys. The spare is somewhere in my house, but I haven't found it yet. I was thinking about popping open the key to change the battery myself so that I wouldn't have to go by the dealership. Any advice is appreciated.

Is it possible to change the battery yourself? I have an '06 IS250, and the battery is just about dead in one of my "keyless entry/start" keys. The spare is somewhere in my house, but I haven't found it yet. I was thinking about popping open the key to change the battery myself so that I wouldn't have to go by the dealership. Any advice is appreciated.

Sure, I popped mine apart a few days after I got it, just to see what kind of battery it has.

The key fob is two pieces that snap together. Remove your hard key (emergency door key) from the fob, and look where the key came out of it. See the crack around in the middle? Thats where the two parts separate. See the widening of the crack right on the corner? Thats where you pry it apart. Stick the tip of your hard key in there and gently twist it. It will pop apart. You'll see the large button battery. Pay attention to way it goes in, so you can put the new in correctly.

To put it back together, make sure the circuit board is place, and line up the two pieces of the key fob, then gently press them together. It will snap back together.

If you have the regular maintenance done at a dealership they change the battery every year or so. I've never had a problem with my 2006 IS 250. I've had it since May 06.

Search around, I don't think you can count on your dealer doing this. You must go to a good one. Others report dealers charging $20 or more for replacements. Go to eBay and order some spares for $5.