Problems! Please Read And Give Opinions!

I just got a full inspection yesterday at Lexus and here are the problems they found, I'm not sure if everything they said is actually bad since I know dealership service always tries to rip us off...

1. fluid changes with timing belt and waterpump $2400

2. rear main seal is leaking $2100 (they said it's very minor and told me to pay attention to the leakage, could run for about 10k-15k miles.

3. right front outer tie rod ends need replaced $235

4. four wheel alignment $129 (after #3, they have to do it they said)

5. fog light connector $65

Anyone knows where can I get cheaper parts and if it's recommended to get these parts fixed by my local mechanic (he has worked on vdub all his life and specialized in german cars like audi/bmw, i got my bank1O2 sensor fixed there)

Please help! thanks!

hey, i saw this post on both forums but I'm only going to reply here.... you can get your parts from various online vendors...

I found irontoad.com to be the cheapest for OEM parts... if you want some aftermarket parts rockauto.com has treated me well.

The timing belt job should cost roughly half of what the dealer is charging... or less including parts and labor... an independent shop can do it as long as they are familiar with interference engines... hopefully someone in your area can chime in on this. The fluid changes can be done by anyone... you can DIY if you've got the time... unless you're doing a transmission flush which you can DIY but it may be easier to somewhere that has the machine for it.

Alignment usually runs between$65 independent, and $99 at some lexus dealers in my area *they often have coupons and specials.

I can't really say much about the other issues but i'm pretty certain a competent mechanic can take care of those things without much issue. Our cars are not really that complicated at all.

Goodluck, keep us posted.

I just got a full inspection yesterday at Lexus and here are the problems they found, I'm not sure if everything they said is actually bad since I know dealership service always tries to rip us off...

2. rear main seal is leaking $2100 (they said it's very minor and told me to pay attention to the leakage, could run for about 10k-15k miles.

Anyone knows where can I get cheaper parts and if it's recommended to get these parts fixed by my local mechanic (he has worked on vdub all his life and specialized in german cars like audi/bmw, i got my bank1O2 sensor fixed there)

Please help! thanks!

I would love to help you getting these parts for a less since I work for dealership here in SoCal. But since you are in

another parts of the land. Why don't you let one of the repair shop try to get it at their shop discount maybe that will

help you a little at least. I know the dealership charges you an arms and legs especially labors. Best way is to find

one of the repairs shop that you know to see if they could get it for you.

Just an advice.....

Joel

Please help! thanks!

I would love to help you getting these parts for a less since I work for dealership here in SoCal. But since you are in

another parts of the land. Why don't you let one of the repair shop try to get it at their shop discount maybe that will

help you a little at least. I know the dealership charges you an arms and legs especially labors. Best way is to find

one of the repairs shop that you know to see if they could get it for you.

Just an advice.....

Joel

Hey Joel,

Where are you at?