What Oil And Filter To You Use?

FZ6 Dude

Hello,

I just bought a 2006 RX330. I am sure that the oil topic has come up before, but I tried to do a search, and always received errors.

I have always changed my own oil and filter and have done minor-major maintenance on my vehicles. So, what is the best oil or synthetic to use on our vehicles? I currently have 22K on the engine.

Also, how many quarts does the Rx require, and do you need to replace the oil drain washer, or is this attached to the plug? Is there anything special that I need to know about this before hand?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there have been a ton of discussions on this topic... and no clean/clear answers. A standby that many people will agree on is that Mobil1 is a great oil to use (and they sell it by the case at Costco for a good price). I use dino oil, but then my old ride has over 135K miles on it and I change the oil fairly often. I've heard from many sources that switching from dino oil to synthetic on high-mileage engines often leads to leakage, due to the fact the synthetic oil penetrates better, so I'm sticking with dino.

Another thing I have heard consistent comments on is to stay away from Fram oil filters. There are many good brands out there (Puralator, Wix, etc.), and I myself have had some bad luck with Fram (had one filter where the barrel was visibly misaligned with the casing and opening).

Lastly, I've always reused the brass washer on the drain plug on every vehcle except my Beemer (which has a totally different oil fitler configuration... much nicer if you ask me) and have never had a problem in any way.

I believe the RX hold 4.8 quarts of oil, but other posts say it's 5 quarts even.

Here's a nice DIY on the whole thing: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=21979

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and Mobil 1 oil filter here.

We purchased our RX new and I originally used Mobil 1 5W30 EP up until about 60K, but after a couple of oil analysis reports, I switched over to Pennzoil and the reports looked better.

103K and haves always used 5W-30Mobil 1 with K&N filter. I am seriously considering switching to Amsoil or Castrol Syntec but keeping the K&N filters.

If for some reason you can't find the K&N oil filter, the Mobil 1 filter is identical (internal) for about $2 less.

Yeah, I've used the Mobil 1 filters a couple of times. Thinking of going to 0W-30, opinions?

My opinion (for what it's worth), Castrol Syntec 0W30 is a bit heavy for the Toyota engines. At operating temp, it is very close to a 40 weight oil. I use it in my Audi, but not in my wife's RX330.

Amsoil is a great oil, I just prefer an oil I can purchase over the counter. Schaeffer's is another excellent oil to consider. I personally would stick with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, 5W30 for either. YMMV.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and Mobil 1 oil filter here.

We purchased our RX new and I originally used Mobil 1 5W30 EP up until about 60K, but after a couple of oil analysis reports, I switched over to Pennzoil and the reports looked better.

+1 PP 5w30 with a factory filter every 5000 and all will be good. 150,000 miles and still going strong. uses 1/2 qt in 5000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda funny, a bunch of replies and everyone's using different combos of oils and filters. Guess its more important that you Do change the oil and filter regularly than what you use to do it.

FWIW I currently use Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 filters. The primary reasons are that I know they are both excellent quality products and all the cars (3) we have use them so I can buy in bulk when they're on sale. There may be better oils but I doubt they're significantly better to make it worthwhile to search out, obtain and pay and even higher premium for (IMHO).

I don't believe there are better filters.