MKMD

Hi All , I am new to the forum.

I purchased my Lexus 1996 in 1996, and so far I have been blessed. Almost zero problems.

The car has around 95000 mi.

A 60000 service was done at the dealer ( stealers)

Since the car is not worth a lot, I think it makes sense to do some DYI's. I have worked on cars and know a little bit.

My question: What does the car need now or when it turns 100000?

Do I need a timing belt replacement? How much does it cost?

Can a regular mechanic perform it?

Sincerely

M Khan

There is really nothing that needs to be done that isn't explained in the maintenance manual that came with your car.

As you can see in your maintenance manual, the recommended timing belt replacement interval is 90,000 miles or 6 years after the in-service date.

In summer 2007, I paid right at $900, not including tax, for a timing belt replacement on my 2000 LS400 -- the service included replacing the serpentine belt, water pump, and a bunch of miscellaneous parts including gaskets, O rings, and idlers. $480 of the $900 was for labor. I waited an extra year (to the day!) from the car's 07/31/2000 in-service date before I had the replacement done.

Any competent mechanic can do the work but I would recommend that you verify that the mechanic has prior experience replacing a timing belt on a V8 Lexus or Toyota and that he is going to replace ALL the parts that are recommended for replacement during the timing belt service.

Beginning in about 1994, I started having most of the maintenance of my Lexus cars done at independent repair shops owned by former Lexus dealer employees and staffed by Lexus trained mechanics. Look around and you might find a similar business in your area. Perhaps ask Lexus owners you see at the gas station where they have their cars serviced.

You may not think your car is worth a lot but I'll bet it is worth something to you. The 95-97 LS400 are very nice cars and my personal favorite for their exterior styling. Best of luck!

I think the T-Belt is part of the 90k?

If the tech isn't from a Lexus/Toyota dealer, make sure whoever you chose has enough experience with Lexus/Toyota to competently perform the service.

Welcome to the forum