Ecm ...ouch ...grrrrr

Captain Meeks

Well, bound to happen...had a break down our LS 400's ECM went out today...guess the car was bound to have a breakdown sooner or later... later would have been better... dealership quote...$1400.00 ..did I just get molested?..She said car was running fine down interstate and just died. Had a wrecker take it to the dealership... I was watching my stocks crash...So I was already crying,when the dealership called to tell me it was a typical monday...On a good note... the reason I havent been around lately is on Sept. 9th.. my wife gave birth to a handsome lil man weighing in @ 7lbs 14oz baby boy... Christian Xavier Meeks.. Hope I find everyone in good health. Just wondered it that was alil much for the repairs or atleast in the ballpark?

post-74907-1222732631_thumb.jpg

You can check eBay for a replacement. Depending on your abilities, changing the ECM can be fairly straightforward.

Thanks ...for the info. I wont be back from New Orleans for a few more weeks so pretty much at the mercy of the dealership.. Just wondered if they got me or not.. Might decide for me if I use that dealership anymore... from what I understand it is a pricey item to have them replace though.. they where really nice to my wife and took care of pretty much everything as far as transportation and getting the car taken care of... sure my debit card brings out the best in them though... lol... hopefully that is all that it will need for awhile... after driving the 400 for awhile..getting in another car is like sitting in a go-cart now... so I am sure my wife wont care what it cost as long as she isnt stuck driving my daughters lil Caviler SS for a extended period of time...lmao... Thanks again for the input though. Ebay seems to be a pretty good place to find parts sofar though. Once again thanks for the input. If I was home I would have probably went alil more hands on to say quite a few hundred dollars. I dont call myself cheap... I like to think of it as conservative in non essential debit service of cash liabilities... :D

You can check eBay for a replacement. Depending on your abilities, changing the ECM can be fairly straightforward.

By the way...I really do like your car....lol..you have excellent taste :lol:

HA! It is a nice color. Sounds like everything will be back to normal soon. Good luck.

By the way...I really do like your car....lol..you have excellent taste :lol:

HA! It is a nice color. Sounds like everything will be back to normal soon. Good luck.

Yeah hope so...lol... getting and feeling to old ... had a man argue yesterday that 1400 was way to much to spend on an old car...just spend 1400 and buy another.... I had to ask..and what kind of car can I get for that money..oh ya another one that I can spend alot more on....lmao... dont think he understood... I would gladly spend more on the 400 than buy a two thousand dollar pontiac ....lol.. sorry any pontiac owners out there... just really feel comfy when I get in the lex... and not so much in most other cars I ride in. Besides how can you put a price on art....lol... unless your a dealership? :rolleyes:

Newbie question. What is the ECM?

The ECM (engine control module) is basically the car's computer that controls systems like fuel injection, idle speed control, emissions control, self diagnosis, etc.

OK. Does a failing ECM give any warning signs? I am having an intermittent low idle issue and I wonder if that would be the cause...

The ECM (engine control module) is basically the car's computer that controls systems like fuel injection, idle speed control, emissions control, self diagnosis, etc.

OK. Does a failing ECM give any warning signs? I am having an intermittent low idle issue and I wonder if that would be the cause...

If there's no other issues, it's likely the IACV needs cleaning or replacement or the ISC (idle speed control) motor is getting weak. Do a search on the subject, plenty of threads and info.

The ECM on ours gave no indication...as a matter of fact my wife was driving and the car just died and coasted to the side of the rode..when the lil road side assistance dude got there they were talking about maybe the fuel pump went out and wanted to spray starter fluid in it.... :o ..I told my wife shut the hood and I will have a dealer pick it up ...sure enough the ECM had went capoot...and the car wasnt recieving any power to any of the fuel systems.... Anyway to answer the question some cars symptoms vary depending.... but I would advise to check some cheaper issues before jumping right on the ECM or having a diagnostic check run at a garage for code variance....