1990 Ls400 Will Not Start

gdukes

Hello, My 90 ls400 will not start. I took it to a local repair shop about a month ago, because I had the same sputtering issue

that I've read about on the forum. The car would run for about 10-15 min, then it would stall. Well, i drove it to a local repair shop to have it repaired,

and to make a long story short, they had my car for over a month and now it will not start. The owner claims that after they changed the ecm(computer) the car would not turn over.

After days of arguing, I had my car towed back home (not running). Has anyone had this issue before or is this a common problem? Is

there a process after an ECM is installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

The 1st thing I would do, is ditch your "mechanic".

Have you pulled engine codes?

Has your "mechanic"?

That is the 1st place to start.

If you don't know how, then go here:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Post back what you pull. It should take no longer than 20 minutes.

Also, there is a search function at the bottom of the page.

Ummmmmm.......maybe the trunk wiring harness?

That was my 1st guess, given that the car would stall while driving. He's had enough guesses from his mech, tho.

But, pulling codes is easy and the correct thing to do anytime your LS starts acting weird.

"is there a process after an ECM is installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated"---- test the battery. It should hold no less than 11volts. If good, then pull codes. If not, take it to autozone and have them re-charge it. You can clear any stored codes by removing the Neg. clamp for 10-20 seconds. It could also be a coil, but then, I'd just be just guessing.....

Post the codes.

I had the battery charged, I also ran the diagnostic (no codes) and pulled out the trunk harness...still will not start. I tried the fuel pump test through the engine diagnostic and I did not hear the pump. Could it be the fuel pump? Any Ideas?

I had the battery charged, I also ran the diagnostic (no codes) and pulled out the trunk harness...still will not start. I tried the fuel pump test through the engine diagnostic and I did not hear the pump. Could it be the fuel pump? Any Ideas?

It's sort of a catch 22.

If you removed the battery terminal clamps to charge it, then you cleared any stored codes, or the 'mechanic' did when he messed with it. The only way to get new codes, is to be able to start, and run it long enough for it to generate a code. So. Catch22 there.

It still could be as simple as the battery. Can you test it again to see if it holds the charge? Is it maintaining at least 11 volts? wire harness --You have to strip the wire harness down to individual wires and inspect each one, then re-connect each one if broken. Double check the harness.

What happens when you crank it? What sound or action?

It could be a bad coil. Disconnect plug wire and hold a 1/4 inch from metal frame and see if it arcs.

Give more detail on what happens when you crank it.

Also what steps the mech took. My guess is he screwed it up from a fixable condition, to a non-fixable one.

Ask him what codes he pulled.

This car has a 'limp home' mode, and it if you get it running, drive it as long as you can, to get any codes.

The fuel filter is made to be semi- permanent. Not the 1st thing I'd suspect. It can be replaced, but it is difficult. I have 255,000 on my 92 ls400 and have 0 fuel delivery probs, and never had any in the past. Original filter. What makes you think filter?

It sounds electrical. Lexus has far more electrical issues than fuel delivery issues.

You need to find out what that mech did to it. Get a full report, or report him him to the BBB, ASE or anyone else you can think of.

He owes you a full report of work done.

• 5 months later...