Ls400 Ignition

Angelita

I am a proud owner of a 1991 LS400 :blink: I drove it fine for about a week then got in to start it up and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition has anyone experience this trouble? If so how did you fix it and how much did it cost :cries: any help is greatly appreciated.

You may have the steering wheel cranked too hard to one side or another (VERY hard on the rack, and pump!). Try this: Pull on the wheel to one side, then the other while working the key.

If that doesn't work, get your husband to try it.

If that doesn't work try pushing the shift lock button, while moving the shifter to neutral, then try the key.

Cost: $0

Let us know if you are successful.

You may have the steering wheel cranked too hard to one side or another (VERY hard on the rack, and pump!). Try this: Pull on the wheel to one side, then the other while working the key.

If that doesn't work, get your husband to try it.

If that doesn't work try pushing the shift lock button, while moving the shifter to neutral, then try the key.

Cost: $0

Let us know if you are successful.

Ok I will try but I got to do this one all by myself Mr. Alexander no husband to help so can you tell me where I would find the shift lock button in a 1991 LS400 :unsure:

Ok I will try but I got to do this one all by myself Mr. Alexander no husband to help so can you tell me where I would find the shift lock button in a 1991 LS400 :unsure:

Hehe! ;)

Mr. Alexander is way too formal. Just alex is fine.

Try jiggling the wheel first. Back and forth while working the key. That should do it. If not, the shift lock button is next to the shifter, in the upper left of the flat part of the center console.

Make sure parking brake is on or car is on a level surface and your foot on the brake. Push it down while moving the shifter into neutral. Then try the key.

Post back what works for you.

If that doesn't work you MAY need a new key... I think there are some links on keys around here somewhere... I'll see if I can find any.

oh and the button is under a little cover by the shifter. You need a small flathead screwdriver to pop it off.

Your lock could be frozen up. Squirt some penetrating fluid like WD40 into the lock and work the key in and out a couple times then the key should turn if this is your problem.

If that doesn't work you MAY need a new key... I think there are some links on keys around here somewhere... I'll see if I can find any.

oh and the button is under a little cover by the shifter. You need a small flathead screwdriver to pop it off.

Thank you I would have been in this state lookin for the button :blink:

Your lock could be frozen up. Squirt some penetrating fluid like WD40 into the lock and work the key in and out a couple times then the key should turn if this is your problem.

I will try this too I am glad I found Lexus Owners Club I was really running out of ideas :D

My moneys on the steering wheel being cranked too far...

Would the steering wheel being cranked too far keep it from moving? I am asking because I can turn mine. Is there something I am missing? I really don't want to spend alot of money getting this issue fixed :wacko:

My moneys on the steering wheel being cranked too far...

Would the steering wheel being cranked too far keep it from moving? I am asking because I can turn mine. Is there something I am missing? I really don't want to spend alot of money getting this issue fixed :wacko:

Describe what it is doing now.

You haven't told us what steps you've taken or even if you followed the advice given.

Please do so, then we can go from there.

Yes, these cars and Toyotas in general likes to "lock the switch" if the steering wheel lock has pressure on it. This happened to me when I first bought my old 1990 LS400 (the one in the photo to the left taken in 2004 and I think it was setting in that same spot!). I was starting to panic. After about 3 minutes I discovered that it was the steering wheel lock was in a bind and had the ignition locked.

THEN... I had a friend from Germany that was over here. She had a 1996 Toyota Tercel. She could not get her key to turn for anything. I went out and took the pressure off of her steering wheel lock and the key turned as smooth as silk. :) She was relieved.

Try turning the steering wheel a little to where its away from its locking stops. That MAY be your problem.

Like Alex said, let us know in detail what you have tried. I have not seen you reply that you have tried taking the pressure off of the steering wheel lock.