Ls400-power Steering Pump

Mr Marks

hello i just bought a 91 ls400 the other day and the power steering pump is roaring when i drove her home she was fine but now the the trac-off light stays on as well with the check engine light will the pump make these lights come on? am getting ready now to change the pump. new to the site glad i found it anyone know about this?

hello i just bought a 91 ls400 the other day and the power steering pump is roaring when i drove her home she was fine but now the the trac-off light stays on as well with the check engine light will the pump make these lights come on? am getting ready now to change the pump. new to the site glad i found it anyone know about this?

I would comment on the PS roaring. There is a something called pulley that your main belt turns. It is a bearing that goes out. When it does, I am not sure exactly what you meant by roaring sound, but it sound like your steering pump has gone out. My mechanic took a stethoscope and put it on the pulley then on the steering module to determine the sound was coming from the pulley. I am not sure what I had paid for the pulley replacement but replacing that eliminated the PS roaring sound. I had thought the sound was coming from PS. You should check this out before trying to replace the PS module.

Other problem you've mentioned, I do not think are related problems.

Welcome. I am not sure about those lights but codes can be found here. Code Reading

Information on the pump can be found on this link Power Steering Pump

I have Carls site in my favorites. Very helpful and very detailed. Big thanks to him and the others who contributed to it.

well thanks for the site i fixed to PS Pump today replace whole unit hoses filter and it stopped making noises

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I had the same prob. 'sept mine leaked into some reservor and made the engine smoke when I started it, Ny mech sed I needed a whole new motor and ordered one only to find out that the only prob was the PS pump.

Sooo..If anyone needs a 90-96 LS400 engine I have one 4 sale.

Yea I had the same prob. 'sept mine leaked into some reservor and made the engine smoke when I started it, Ny mech sed I needed a whole new motor and ordered one only to find out that the only prob was the PS pump.

It's too bad when this kind of situation occurs. There have been volumes written here on this topic by many. I'm one of the lucky ones. I bought my '95 400 with the advance knowledge that it had a P/S leak. I went ahead and bought it because I joined this board first and did my research. Because of that knowledge, I knew what I had to do to fix the problem ahead of time.

Armed with that knowledge and experience, I'm happy to try and help others, but I'm personally tired of writing the same thing repeatedly, every time a new member joins and has the dreaded P/S leak. More to the point, I'm tired of getting trashed by those who have never once jacked up their car, spouting off about all things "Power Steering".

I know the threads are many and widely spread out on this board. Could this subject ever be condensed and become a permanently "pinned" topic?

It's too bad when this kind of situation occurs. There have been volumes written here on this topic by many. I'm one of the lucky ones. I bought my '95 400 with the advance knowledge that it had a P/S leak. I went ahead and bought it because I joined this board first and did my research. Because of that knowledge, I knew what I had to do to fix the problem ahead of time.

Armed with that knowledge and experience, I'm happy to try and help others, but I'm personally tired of writing the same thing repeatedly, every time a new member joins and has the dreaded P/S leak. More to the point, I'm tired of getting trashed by those who have never once jacked up their car, spouting off about all things "Power Steering".

I know the threads are many and widely spread out on this board. Could this subject ever be condensed and become a permanently "pinned" topic?

I've thought the same thing. Same old same old. It would be usefull to set up a help section and call it, say, DIY TROUBLESHOOTING. The threads would be listed under subject headings with some common items pinned and links to LexLS.com for his tutorials.

The current setup now has Common Problems pinned but they are not listed by subject matter, so there's a lot of redundant searching involved taking longer than it should to find a related thread.

What do you say mods? How about it? Given the limitations of the search tool (cannot process 3 letter inquiries), it could make life easier for noobs who, from what I've seen, often post in a panic and expect/need a response quickly. Sometimes the response comes days later because not every post is read by everyone and not everyone is online at the time the post is made.