Is A Cold Air Intake Worth Buying?

hey everyone im trying to decide whether or not to buy a cold air intake...they generally go for about 250-300$ on ebay with shipping..now im just wondering from anyone who may already have one is it really worth the 300 dollars for a 93 sc400? i have seen the difference it makes on little honda civic motors, but we arent talking VTEC we're talking a lexus v8. so any input from anyone such as HP gains, MPG increase or decrease, and sound please let me know! thanks

All intakes makes a difference in the cars performance. There is a conversion available if you're willing to put the time into it. It's cheaper but it will require you to modify you stock intake system

http://www.planetsoarer.com/BFI3/bfi3.htm

Now here's the catch. For you to feel the difference you'll have to upgrade to the SRT with ECU piggy back, and upgrade the exhaust to a high flow system. You will gain at least 10bhp/s, and you will loose current fuel consumption per gallon numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a BFI on my '93 SC400. It works. I get better gas mileage and better performance.

that's good. I am kind of curious to see if anyone has compared the Cone vs the BFI though, and saw a huge difference between the two.

• 3 weeks later...
hey everyone im trying to decide whether or not to buy a cold air intake...they generally go for about 250-300$ on ebay with shipping..now im just wondering from anyone who may already have one is it really worth the 300 dollars for a 93 sc400? i have seen the difference it makes on little honda civic motors, but we arent talking VTEC we're talking a lexus v8. so any input from anyone such as HP gains, MPG increase or decrease, and sound please let me know! thanks

kind of a waste will make for bad gas it sounds cool but didnt notice much power increase. u would have to do more than that w such a big motor. these motors dont ahve hardly anything to make more powerful. better off 1900 for the 2jz motor. the 4.0 is garbage. if was a 4.7 32 valve new w supercharger that would be hot. but older 4.0 are not worth putting money into. do urself a favor keep ur money its garbage injen like only brand i found if u can cut hole in that area and route intake down there would maybe do more power since not so hot in that engine bay. but the intake not worth it