Help With Rims

dhennessey

HELP!

I drive a 1996 LS400 DREAM - I need a new set of Rims but I'm not sure of the offset for the front.

Ironically, TWICE - I bought a set of used Rims and Tires where they were supposed to fit - (THe current set is a dreamy set of SC430 18" RIMS with new Michelin Sport Tires.

Can I use offset to get the tires to fit????? Or should I just shoot myself? If I can use offset then where can I go in toronto to buy them??

Can someone tell me what RIMS I should be looking at???? What measurements should I use?

Please email me at dhennessey@hennesseycapital.com

Regards,

David

Hey David...

You mentioned that you had a problem fitting on the front wheels you bought off me (17's) because of the larger aftermarket front brake set you purchased......maybe going back to a smaller set & the problem is solved & sell your front brake kit....or give us the exact size of your brake kit you have now......that might be alot easier in the long run.

Those wheels I sold you were 'plug & play' with the OE brake set up for your LS (including the offset)......the fact that the 18's you have still don't fit tells me it's the aftermarket brakes.

:cheers:

Hey Bren.

I'm embarrased as this is the second time I've made the same mistake.

It's not the brake disks but the extra large calipers on my LS that won't clear the inside.

The offset on the new RIMS are .45 but I think I might need 50??

If you know anyone who can give me a straight answer please let me know.

I'm going to go crazy, and broke buying and selling Tires (And my wife has threatened the Lorraine Bobbit treatment if the same mistake thrice)

Hey David...

You mentioned that you had a problem fitting on the front wheels you bought off me (17's) because of the larger aftermarket front brake set you purchased......maybe going back to a smaller set & the problem is solved & sell your front brake kit....or give us the exact size of your brake kit you have now......that might be alot easier in the long run.

Those wheels I sold you were 'plug & play' with the OE brake set up for your LS (including the offset)......the fact that the 18's you have still don't fit tells me it's the aftermarket brakes.

AS a futher Update - I saw a mechanic today who tried spacers but said it was a NO-Go for these Rims.

He suggested after market calipers that are not as wide - Or he said I could have an inch ground off my OEM Calipers which would solve the problem.

I think I might try and find another set or stick with the stock RIMS.

Hey Bren.

I'm embarrased as this is the second time I've made the same mistake.

It's not the brake disks but the extra large calipers on my LS that won't clear the inside.

The offset on the new RIMS are .45 but I think I might need 50??

If you know anyone who can give me a straight answer please let me know.

I'm going to go crazy, and broke buying and selling Tires (And my wife has threatened the Lorraine Bobbit treatment if the same mistake thrice)

Hey David...

A mechanic that tells you to DOWNGRADE your brakes..... should NOT be a mechanic! (in MY opinion) and also you would be able to get away with grinding a little bit off your calipers, but AN INCH???????

Why would spacers be a "no-go"???? If you have to roll the fenders.. roll 'em.

I hope everything works out for you, but please don't take that mech's advice. Make the spacers work, get new wheels, or keep it stock.

Best & least expensive suggestion (and to keep your 'manhood' in tact lol :P based on your above comment ) find a set of OE calipers or OE aftermarket of the OE size....and Bob's your uncle......put your 18's on. ;)

Hi

The rotors are aftermarket, but are OEM SIZE - cross drilled and slotted.

Calipers are OEM lexus and they are the problem. They touch up against the wheel as they really stick out.

Car is 2100 KG, and I think the big caplipers help to stop all that weight????

Even with spacers the calipers touch metal. I need rims that will clear the calipers.

I prefer to stick with Lexus OEM so I'm looking for LEX rims that fit.

Oh jeez louise I didn't realize there was an aftermarket brake kit on!

but still... why a no on the spacers?

Yes I have the orginal OEM rims on but they look dated. I have the 96 style and I'm looking for something more update.

I've tried to attach a photo of my car and current RIMS.

The funny thing is your current OE stock rims & tires (225 60 16) fit with no problem correct David? :blink:

post-68514-1216816513_thumb.jpg

Yes I have the orginal OEM rims on but they look dated. I have the 96 style and I'm looking for something more update.

I remember. Have you taken the car to an actual tire shop (as opposed to a general repair shop) to see what they can do or suggest for you? Where abouts in Toronto are you located.......I have some tire contacts I can direct you too if need be.

Seems to me you should be able to get those 18's on there. Did you get the 18 with tires already on them, if so what tires?

Thanks Bren.

I'm downtown toronto, but I'll drive anywhere.

I was at a wheel shop last night and they are the shop that recommended shaving the calipers if I want to keep the tires.

I called DON VALLEY LEXUS today, and I'm waiting to see if I can fit the IS350 rims on my car. Still waiting for an answer. Hopefully that will be the ticket, and I'll sell these rims on Ebay.

I remember. Have you taken the car to an actual tire shop (as opposed to a general repair shop) to see what they can do or suggest for you? Where abouts in Toronto are you located.......I have some tire contacts I can direct you too if need be.

Seems to me you should be able to get those 18's on there. Did you get the 18 with tires already on them, if so what tires?

Did the tire shop say how much $$ to shave the calipers? How much will they have to shave off?

I've used 2 very good tire shops when I lived in Toronto.....Active Green & Ross at the 404 & Steeles & Ron Mitten Tires on Danforth (been a few years since I dealt with them however).

If you need the Active Green & Ross contact info, send me a PM......I deal with the manager there......but I suspect that this type of problem is best dealt with a speciality rim/tire shop if you want to stay with OE alloys.