Fuel Economy, Mpg Vs Range On Es330

I purchased a 2004 ES330 about 2 moths ago. It's a great car and I'm really happy about it.

One thing started to bother me: discrepancy between average MPG (19-28) and estimated range (295 mi on full tank) numbers on the dashboard. First of all display shows 2 average range numbers, I believe one is for city other is highway, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm making 19 MPG then I should get at least 330 mile (on 17.5 gal). Assume that my combined MPG is 24, then i should see 400+ but I don't. BTW: I use 87 octane from Costco. I believe 87 should be fine, am I wrong?

Could you please post your "estimated range" readings and type of fuel that you use?

I purchased a 2004 ES330 about 2 moths ago. It's a great car and I'm really happy about it.

One thing started to bother me: discrepancy between average MPG (19-28) and estimated range (295 mi on full tank) numbers on the dashboard. First of all display shows 2 average range numbers, I believe one is for city other is highway, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm making 19 MPG then I should get at least 330 mile (on 17.5 gal). Assume that my combined MPG is 24, then i should see 400+ but I don't. BTW: I use 87 octane from Costco. I believe 87 should be fine, am I wrong?

Could you please post your "estimated range" readings and type of fuel that you use?

Welcome bbqguy!

I have the same discrepancy on my 2005 ES 330 and you are correct....the computer is wrong & it does not seem to correct itself even on a long highway drive (even after resetting it). I usually leave the computer on the 'instant' fuel economy mode & flip back & forth to overall average fuel economy (it's not one for city & one for highway).

I too use regular fuel only now in the car (Sunoco or Shell) & easily get 400+ miles per tank....we do not require premium.

:cheers:

It just occurred to me that I haven't emptied the tank fully yet. I've been filling up around half tank so i really don't know my actual mile/per tank. Questions:

- How do you reset the computer?

- what's your estimated range reading on full tank?

- what's the difference between two average mpg readings then?

It just occurred to me that I haven't emptied the tank fully yet. I've been filling up around half tank so i really don't know my actual mile/per tank. Questions:

- Hold down the 'disp' button on the steering wheel for a few seconds to reset (you have to change to the other screens & do the same).

- I'm in Canada....so my range after fill up says 515 - 525 km's usually (320 - 325 miles) which is still not correct.

- One is 'instant' MPG & the other is 'overall' MPG since you last reset it.

Take some time & read through the owners manual cover to cover.....you would be suprised what's in there (have you found the feature that you can open all windows & the sunroof without even getting in the car yet?) ;)

gentleman,

keep in mind this is not the range until empty. It is the range until you reach the built in reserve. Your emtpy light will come on when there is about 20 miles left on the "range". This light is a warning that you need to put fuel in the tank. The tank actually has about 1.5 to 2.5 gallons of gas left in it.

If you are calculating your mpg based on your tank volume of 18.5 gallons then your calculation is wrong and going to be lower than actual.

steviej

- Hold down the 'disp' button on the steering wheel for a few seconds to reset (you have to change to the other screens & do the same).

- I'm in Canada....so my range after fill up says 515 - 525 km's usually (320 - 325 miles) which is still not correct.

- One is 'instant' MPG & the other is 'overall' MPG since you last reset it.

Take some time & read through the owners manual cover to cover.....you would be suprised what's in there (have you found the feature that you can open all windows & the sunroof without even getting in the car yet?) ;)

Mine has only Mode and Reset buttons on steering wheel, based on user manual range resets only when I re-fuel. BTW: the second AVG was MPH not MPG, anyhow i read/thought both were avg MPG, my mistake.

Quick/Easy way to figure out what you get average on a tank (I know this maybe obvious, but I have posted it in other car forums and gotten a few "why didn't I think of that" responses).

1. Fill up.

2. Reset Trip

3. Fill up again.

4. Trip Reading\Gallons Filled in #3 (Gallons Burned)

This will get you a semi-close number assuming you top off every time.

My assumption is that most gas pumps will get you to about the same level every fill, I would assume that any two aren't off by more than a quarter of a gallon.

I do this with all my cars, I have a '05 ES330, and the AVG in the trip computer is always close to this calculation anyways, I am getting about 25mpg with a mix of city/highway. 380 seems to be my "comfortable" range, I am sure I could hit 440 before sputtering to a stop on the side of the highway no problem.

The 2005 ES is slightly different as I have both average MPG & instant MPG. Steviej.....good point.

slightly different than what? My 2002 ES and 2006 GS both have current/instant and a running average.

but both of these computer options will not give the most accurate.

The only true what to calculate mpg is to divide the miles driven by the actual volume of gas used.

Follow wolfieLexus' post. Just when you fill up, fill up at a pump to the point where the pump shuts off the first time. Then drive it almost gone.

Then return to that same pump and fill it up just as before. Stop pumping when the pump shuts off the first time again. This will be most accurate since you are forcing extra gas in after the first shut off.

steviej

Last 2 tankfulls.....went approx 700 km's (434 miles) each time averaged 9.3 Litres per 100 km's or 25.3 MPG (U.S.) or 30.37 MPG (U.K.). Still had about 1/8th of a tank to go. All on regular fuel. B)

I have close to 400 ml, but add gas at 360 - 380 as lamp is on

estimate distance shows 330

getting around 23 - 24 MPG

freeway (70+mph) / city

at 70 mph I see 32mpg but at 80 mph 26 - 28 mpg

• 15 years later...

I have a 04 es330, the most range I've pushed it to is 330 miles. By that point, I've hit E and the gas light came on at around 305 miles on the tank.

My question is are you getting this 350-400 miles of range with the gas light popping on when you're in the 330-340 range of miles on the tank? I just had the plugs and coil packs done so it should be pretty efficient on consumption. Just wondering if you are getting 50 plus miles of range once the gas light has come on cause that's the only way, I can see me hitting that 380-400 miles of range.