Dipstick Level ?

SO IT'S THE TRANNY DIP STICK EH... WILL IF YOU'RE THAT FAR OVER THE FULL LINE, SOMEONE'S HEAD IS GOING TO ROLL. OUR CARS ARE VERY LOW MAINTENANCE AS LONG AS YOU DON'T ABUSE OR OVER DO IT. YOU'RE PROBABLY OVER BY 1 QUART AND SOME CHANGE. NO MORE THAN TWO. BUT STILL EVEN THEN, YOU DON'T WANT TO OVER DO IT WITH TRANNY OR OIL BY THAT MUCH. IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, WITH TOO MUCH TRANNY FLUID, YOUR GEARS WOULDN'T ENGAGE AND YOUR CAR WOULD JUST SUCK A BIG FAT NUT. SOMEONE OWES YOU BRO.

Overfilling the transmission will cause problems in the long run. The fluid will "aerate" or take on air, and eventually cause a lubrication problem.

The result will be a worn transmission. Remember, it only takes a pint to raise the level from LOW to FULL. Also: what temperature are you checking the fluid at? It will be lower when the fluid is cold, and higher when warm.

The engine should be running, and if you check it cold, the level will be in the "crosshairs" between low and full. If the level shows above FULL when the car is cold, it is definitely overfilled. The fluid expands everytime it gets warm, and contracts when it cools. fluid temperature is very important factor to consider to get the fluid level right.

MANY transmissions fail because of improper fluid level....both low and overfilled alike.

Thanks

GSEREP1

without knowing which model of GS you have i cannot give you an accurate amount over...

however i can tell you that the GS300 takes only 1 1/2 qts when just draining and filling the transmission.

and i believe the GS400 is 2 1/2qts but i'd start with 2 and go from there as i'm not 100% sure.

as for the 430 i have no idea as they are extremely rare where i am sorry..i would still assume to start with 2qts and go from there.

i do have one question for you though...do you have the engine running when you check your fluid?

you are suposed to with the transmission...i have no idea if you knew that or not but just in case..it does make a big difference as a trans that is at exactly the right level can look to be overfull.

lex,

yea it is a 1993 gs 300 so you think that a drain/fill is 1 1/2 qts.

maybe that's why - i have no time and i had a mechanic do it for me and he did a drain/fill and added 4 qts! idiot!

lex another question - if you do a trany flush car has 66,000k never had fluid changed before but filter was changed when he did drain/fill do you have to change the filter again??

let me know what you think !

guys,

explain this one! 1993 gs300 cold i'm about 1 1/2 above full hot line-

car running about 15 minutes level ground fluid in the o.k. hot zone-

how the hell when cold the level is alot higher then when hot- and i checked numerous times

when warm fluid expands- makes no sense- i'm using t-1V !!