Ac Light Blinking

Just today (98* temps) I noticed the the light inside the ac button was blinking on and off randomly. My assumption is that the compressor is kicking OFF in order to save itself from a low freon condition which I know is the case (I know it's low on freon).

Does this sound correct?

It does cool, but not at full capacity. I'm guessing vent temps have now climbed to about 55* or so.

I really want to avoid taking it in for a recharge, as I have the ability to do it myself.

So, ac button light blinking on and off randomly means what? Save mode?

In researching the problem, it looks like ac code 13 which is " Evaporator Temperature Sensor Circuit ". Anyone one have any experience with replacing this part?

What would cause it to fail?

I happen to to have a bad fan blower resistor which controls low and med speeds on the blower, but I doubt the two are connected.

Blinking light means the compressor is shutting off due to a failing compressor, usually, or low freon due to a leak. On and off/ intermittant, is indicative of bad bearings in the compressor affecting the rpm sensor from the compressor which shuts the ac down. Reving the engine will sometimes overcome the bearing problem but it is a matter of time and damage from shavings being dispersed throughout the entire system. This calls for an evaporator change and pulling a vacuum on the entire system when replacing the compressor..

I'm banking on it being low freon, since I know that's occuring. The leaks have been sealed now, I believe. I'm just curious if that could be tripping the "Evaporator Temperature Sensor Circuit " code.

Will test it this week. I'll try not to run it too much in this condition tho.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
I'm banking on it being low freon, since I know that's occuring. The leaks have been sealed now, I believe. I'm just curious if that could be tripping the "Evaporator Temperature Sensor Circuit " code.

Will test it this week. I'll try not to run it too much in this condition tho.

Thanks.

My 1992 ls400 has the same problem as yours accept when the engine is turned on, I hear a scraping noise under the hood which goes off when I turn the ac off; or goes off after a while on its own. Did you find that the blinking ac light is indeed a bad compressor; or was it low freon only. And, did you experience the scraping noise as I have. If you could , let me know at zimco@patriot.net.

Thanks,

Steve Z.