Unorthodox Pulleys

Just wondering is anyone had an opinion on whether lighter pulleys were worth the money.

Here's an Unorthodox Racing set offered on eBay for over $400 bucks.

I know in extreme high horsepower cars, the pulleys do make a big difference, but I'm not sure whether they would make $400 worth of a difference in our cars.

Lighter pulleys are worth it. But you need to consider the harmonic balancer or vibration damper if you replace the crank pulley. I do believe the 2jz- variations are some of the best internally balanced motors out there though if all the literature is correct. I still get nervous though.

Make sure you get a stock or overdrive crank pulley in your set, If you run an underdrive it's goodbye headlights everytime your system hits. And I don't mean that as a joke. It can get pretty bad, and murder your battery. Underdrive pulleys are a great way to free up hp. I've seen some impressive numbers from some, and not so from others. I think a lot of it has to do in the application. I've never seen a set on an SC, so if you do get them, make sure and let me know, I'm trying to build some what of a database for SC parts and power packages.

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend against changing your stock crank pulley. There has been too many horror stories about it. If you rebalance your crank then it might be a different situation. Now your accessory pulleys might be ok. But then you might need special belts (size difference), etc.