Rear Wheel Noise

TryingToSell

I love my 2004 IS300 and will miss it, but I am selling it because it just isn't practical for me at this time... and the gas is killing me!!

A couple of prospective buyers that have driven it mention hearing noise (humming, I guess?) from the rear wheels or axle. I don't really hear anything unusual, but I know it simply isn't a quiet car. I don't really know much about it though, being a 31 year old female, and my husband isn't exactly a mechanic. For the record, it has about 90k miles.

I think part of the problem is that people don't realize it is a performance car, and they are expecting the quiet ride you would get out of a larger Lexus. Most people that are looking at it are buying for their high school or college age children (must be nice, right?!?!). I think the parents just think "ok, a small Lexus would be a great car for my child".

There is currently a family that is serious about buying it, but want to be reassured that nothing is wrong in the rear wheels or axle. Conveniently, my husband is out of town on a business trip, so I am taking care of all this myself! I took the car to both NTB and Discount Tire yesterday since they are both close by. Someone at each location drove it and didn't hear anything unusual (at Discount Tire they went ahead and balanced them). They said that some noise is normal from these type of performance tires (Cooper Zeon ZPT 215/45R17 ... nothing spectacular, I know). Today the buyer-to-be and I went back to NTB to have them lift the rear so he could hear the tires spin while off the ground. Well, neither he nor the guy at NTB realized beforehand that the posi-trac (?) system won't allow them to spin. Makes sense, even to me! They were able to wiggle the wheels a bit by hand though, and the guy wonders if that is normal.

So... any suggestions from you guys?? Any links with more information I could reference? Next step is to take it to the dealership I guess and pay no telling how much to have it looked over. <_<

I suspect the humming is just the tread on the tires making that noise. Maybe just find a grassy field at a church or school you can drive it on to see if it becomes quiet, which I think it will. The rearends on these cars are just about bomb proof, as I have several friends with an open differential and have put turbos on it pushing double the hrosepower thru them and have not had any trouble with them at all. And those that have the LSD rearend (Both tires provide power to the ground), have over 600 hp using the stock rearend with out troubles.

The fact is the IS 300 is a really well built car. The motor is a 2JZGE with a 20 year performance history. It is one of the engines that defined Toyota.

Thanks, guys. I spoke with a guy at Austin Lexus yesterday, about wanting to have it looked over for buyer assurance. I asked "how much would this cost me", and he replied, "we don't really do that. I suggest Lemon Busters". WTF?!?! They don't want to take my money?? and potentially find issues that would require more of my money?!?! I'll be calling back tomorrow and talking to someone else.

Another issue... my auto leveling headlight indicator is lit up on the dash. I've found a lot of threads about this common issue and the fixes. Do you think the rear sensor could have been knocked out of whack when I had my brakes and rotors replaced recently??

Thanks, guys. I spoke with a guy at Austin Lexus yesterday, about wanting to have it looked over for buyer assurance. I asked "how much would this cost me", and he replied, "we don't really do that. I suggest Lemon Busters". WTF?!?! They don't want to take my money?? and potentially find issues that would require more of my money?!?! I'll be calling back tomorrow and talking to someone else.

Another issue... my auto leveling headlight indicator is lit up on the dash. I've found a lot of threads about this common issue and the fixes. Do you think the rear sensor could have been knocked out of whack when I had my brakes and rotors replaced recently??

If the issue showed up afterwards, then most likely yes. I won't bother explaining how to re level the sensors, so when you take it in they can do that for you.

When you call back, just tell them you would like to bring the car in for a full check up. You just want everything gone over for your own peice of mind. Maybe tell them how impressed you were with their services in the past and you would like to give this car to your son and before you do you want to make sure everything is in good working condition. ;) I'm sure they will welcome you in with open arms and some really nice complimentary soft drinks.

I found some of the threads that talked about checking and adjusting the rear leveling sensor, and a picture someone posted of one that was in the wrong position. Just for fun I thought I'd go peek under my car and see if I could find it (quite sure I wouldn't). I was so excited when I saw it immediately! :) Good news is it is exactly right, in about the one o'clock position. Bad news is that means I don't have an easy fix. :( Honestly I'm not willing to spend money having it fixed, when I am about sell it and there doesn't seem to be any issue with the headlights aiming at a bad angle currently.

post-75561-1216180148_thumb.jpg

By the way, is there a forum at this site for posting ads?

Yes there is, but you can't post it here in the car forum.

If your status is New Club Member then you are not allowed to post in this forum. You must make a contribution to the forums before you can post here. When you have made enough posts, your status will change, and you will be allowed to post. This has become necessary due to the number of people registering purely to sell, and not contributing to our community

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17