Replacing Radio And A/c Button Lights

Lex94

no problem.

I use a specific tool calle d a trim or moulding remover. It is a bent forked end like a screwdriver.

Just do it slowly and the vent will pop out as some people have broken it.

It is being held in by only 2 or 4 clips no screws. But you need to get it out to acess the upper bolts to remoev the radio and hvac. There are screws on the side of each peice by the front of them .Remove them and the face comes off and you can acess the bulbs easily.

SK, I hope you can answer my question or anyone else. I've gotten to the part where I need to also change out my buttons, as the only button that lights up is the FM, and the actual LCD so I'm pressing blindly. I succesfully popped off the bottom trim above the cup holder, and removed those two screws. When I got to the vents, the vents jiggled around, but it seemed as they were attached as a whole unity that connects to the dash, as I took my cluster out as well. I found an online tutorial on the removal, and found that there is two caps (one in the left vent, and one in the right vent) that contain the screws to the radio console. I popped up one of the caps in my vent, but there is no way to access the screw as it's at a weird angle. I have a 93 es300, and either I'm not prying hard enough on the vent, or I suck at it. :D Any help is 'preciated.

• 2 months later...

There seems to be some half correct info in all the replys.

First, some of the bulbs can be replaced. They are in a standard twist out socket.

Second, there are some LED lights that one could replace, but they are soldered in place. They light the button indicators.

Third, there are LED lights that are soldered in place and one can not access. They light up the display panel. The glass is a crystal light display with 20+ wires coonected to it and soldered to the board. It does not appear as though you can move the glass panel. I did not try too hard for fear of cracking it.

But, there is a work around. Instead of paying $300-$400 for a new part from Lexus, I spent $2.50 at Radio Shack. They 12V minilamps with about a two inch attached wire. I stuck the light in the hole for the display and ran the wires aound to the solder points for the burned out light. Then, carefully, added a little solder to the existing points and soldered the wires in place.

I suppose this could be done for a few dollars at an electronic repair shop, but if you got this far dismantaling the dash, I am sure you can do the soldering too.

Put it back together and it lights up the display. It's a quick fix that saves $100's!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a lot of trouble removing the trim above the radio to access the two screws that hold in the console on my 92 ES300. I tried to pry in several different places, but nothing budges. There must be a trick (and where does one buy a trim removal tool, and where does one use it).

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I am having a lot of trouble removing the trim above the radio to access the two screws that hold in the console on my 92 ES300. I tried to pry in several different places, but nothing budges. There must be a trick (and where does one buy a trim removal tool, and where does one use it).

Thanks.

I also have a 1992 ES300. This is what I used:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusES300StrR.htm For the most part, these directions are right. First remove the clips inside the vent plenum. Then, if you look on the sides of the plenum, you'll see two holes (one on each side). (DON'T do the "...major pressure to the side..." like it says!) Using a bent coathanger with a small hook on the end, pull gently while prying along the TOP seam of the same plenum, same general side. The plenum should release on that side. Then do the other side. It's easy.

The car stereo link is very good the only difference is when I tried it and apply the pressure on side I did break the vent from top. Then I learned an easy way.

Lift the clip as it by putting a screw driver and at the same time put a flat screw driver on the uppper border also as there is a plastic clip at the top. Once you have depressed the plastic clip from top and lifted the metal clip with screwdriver as shown in the carstereo link, put a screwdriver from side and the vent will come out very easily without applying any significant pressure and without breaking vent.

hope it helps