Ford Flex = Suv Killer?

nc211

Saw an article today highlighting the new Ford Flex wagon. It looks really cool! I like the styling direction these days of Ford. But, the article said "Bye bye SUV" and "SUV Killer". However, when reading about the car on Ford's site, it says 17mpg city / 24 highway. My 05' V8 permanent 4x4 4runner gets that, or very close to it, with an average of about 18-19 mpg. Certainly not enough to call the Flex an SUV killer, in my opinion.

What do you guys think? Is high teens city, low to mid twenties mpg enough to justify it for a replacement of the SUV?

Edit: I'm talking in general terms. There is no way I'm giving up our 4runner.

The RX400H was almost as big with as much interior room as my Jeep grand Cherokee but it got 30 to 33 mpg and between 25 and 30 on my trips between SC & NY doing 60 to 70 MPH on the interstate It's big V8 could probably tow more than the RX and the Jeep had a better 4 wheel drive than the AWD on the RX but the RX mpg was a lot better than the Jeep or the Ford that was mentioned

I think I would steer towards the Murano before the Flex. And if I were to step up from there I would take the 4Runner and/or the RX.

The new Highlander looks to be larger than the previous gen and a viable alternative to the Rx and the Flex. It doesn't have the 4x4 of the 4runner but it does have a hybrid. Haven't driven one yet. Maybe this fall. My choice for a new set of wheels will depend on whether this oil bubble is going ot burst anytime soon or continue into the stratosphere where only the Bentleys and Maseratis live.

The Highlander is significantly larger than the old one and larger than the RX. They're very nice, I drove one.

The Hybrid is really expensive though, $47k loaded.

whatever they call the Flex, that is horrible gas mileage! :o I would definitely stick with my 4Runner also if i'm just going to compare it with the Flex. :) It might not be as roomy as the flex, but overall in other aspects, it defeats any Ford anyday. ;) Consider a CX-9 if anyone is lookin at the Flex. :P about the same gas mileage but it has a better design and quality than the Flex i presume