Replacing Key

fatmaxxv

I have RX 330 and the key casing broke where the screw hold located. I could duck tape it but it look ugly... :lol:

I notice the key is attached to the plastic. I know the dealer would charge me my first born to get a new key (cut, program....blah blah...) Any idea on how I can fix my key up other than duck tape and super glue?

Appreciate your suggestions.

Genunine Lexus replacement backs are available on ebay for about $15. Another option is cover your key with a rubber jacket. They will hold a broken key together and are also a good idea for a key before it breaks to protect it from breaking. Mine came from thejacketstore.com.

• 4 months later...
Try here:

http://www.tcodesoftware.com/carkeyshells.html

I will give feed back this week, I ordered mine Sunday, they were sent out and I am waiting for the mail...

So how'd it go?

I have had BOTH of my Lexus RX 330 (2004) keys break within 2 weeks of each other. The one the key still works and the front case is still attached. I may tape it for now! Today the second key literally BROKE OFF (the metal part) in the ignition. That one is probably "shot."

Any cheap ways of doing this for a now unemployed RX 330 owner is appreciated. Thanks.

I have RX 330 and the key casing broke where the screw hold located. I could duck tape it but it look ugly... :lol:

I notice the key is attached to the plastic. I know the dealer would charge me my first born to get a new key (cut, program....blah blah...) Any idea on how I can fix my key up other than duck tape and super glue?

Appreciate your suggestions.

It is usually just the back cover that breaks. You can get a replacement on ebay for about $15. Mine even came with a new screw.

Another alternative is to go to www.thejacketstore.com and order a key cover which will not only hold your key together but also protect it from future damage. I use the covers on all my lexus keys.

Hey, wait a minute! I just realized you revieved an old thread and I already said this once above back in June. I would have deleted my post but can't figure out how.

Hey, wait a minute! I just realized you revieved an old thread and I already said this once above back in June. I would have deleted my post but can't figure out how.

NP it is still good advice! Lexus wants $50 for a replacement.