Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season

spyshot

I need to relace the tires on my 02 is300. 215 45 17. after browsing around tirerack, i've settled on the goodyear eagle f1 all season. any positives or negative on this tire? i dont drive it a lot in the snow so i would want good dry and wet grip. i bought the car with dunlop graspics on it and now have a bubble that has appeared in the sidewall (second time).

if anybody has any other suggestions, i'd like to hear it. i'm looking to spend less than 150 a tire.

thanks for your help!

adam

Those are good tires. But my question is if you only drive the car occasionally, then why get all season tires? If you only need good wet and dry traction, and not snow, then I would go with a higher performance tire like the Michelin Pilots, or if you wanted to save some money, the BF Goodrich g-force sport is a good tire for like $110.00 bucks each. and still better than an all season tire.

the BF Goodrich g-force sport is a good tire for like $110.00 bucks each. and still better than an all season tire.

thanks for the reply smooth1

when i compare the bf goodrich g-force sport to the goodyear eagle f1 a/s on tire rack side by side, the goodyear fairs better in almost every category. what does all season vs summer tire really mean anyway then? are these numbers on tirerack trust worthy?

I would take all those numbers as general info. Not quite as precise as they would like you to beleive. The issue with those numbers is first, remember it's a survey, not scientific facts, and remeber, every tire acts differently under different chassis, weight distribution, and suspension set ups. To say any 1 tire is superoir to another on any given car in all circumstances is foolish as every car has a different set up.

The IS 300 is a heavier car at around 3200 lbs. and the weight distribution is 54/46 front to rear. So, in my opinion, I tend to like a stiffer sidewall tire which will help keep the front end up more responsive in turns and braking. Also the tire tends to react quicker and settle smoother, staying in contact with the road surface better. Which would make the g-force sport a much better tire than any all season tire. And the g-force has a tread life of 340, which means it should also last a descent amount of time. I'm not a big BFGoodrich fan or anything. I actually like the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, but those are $235.00 retail for each tire. You said you wanted to be under $150.00 for each tire. In that price range, and considering your driving habits or needs, I would look more at a performance tire than an all season tire. You will be amazed at the difference in handling and turn in response.

ok. thanks! that makes sense. i will deffinately consider it. i've never had bf goodrich tires before. i'm sure both will be much better than the dunlop graspics i have now. can you do a 4 tire rotation with the g-force? the tred looks directional?

I had the Goodyear all seasons on my LT1 Firebird and just happened to be up north a few times when it snowed. I got around just fine with those tires. I was between Columbus and Cleveland on I71 one night when a snowstorm started and traffic was running about 40 when it was moving. We passed several wrecks that night but I never had a minute's trouble maintaining traction, even with the 350 V8 power. The tires handled fine and wore well too.

As for Tirerack numbers, I believe there was an article there some years ago when they tested high performance tires on identical IS300's. Don't know it it's still there or not and don't remember the results.

I had the Goodyear F1's on my IS Sportcross and LOVED THEM. As soon as the BFgoodrich tires that my most recent IS came with wear out, I'm going back to the F1's. Awesome wet traction.

Hope this helps,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

The F1's are amazing tires. I just put them on my IS about 4 months ago. I had Pirelli snows on before and the F1's blow them out of the water. The ride is a lot quieter and they handle great. The full set out here in Colorado was about $700, so fairly decent for a great set. Hope that helps.