60000 Miles Service

spr1nt

Our RX330 hit 60000 miles recently so I called up the dealership to see what kind of service they suggest and more importantly the cost of said service. I was told it would cost $1100 for this "D Level Service".

http://s208270823.onlinehome.us/service.jpg

As you can see it also includes levels A,B, and C but the price still seems a bit high. Do you guys think thats a fair price? If not, any recommendation on where else to go? Thanks in advance.

Spark plugs at 60k???? Doesnt the 330 use iridium plugs like the RX300? They should be good for an easy 100k if they are iridium. As for the service, yea, its a rip...Do as above check a Toyota service cost.

There was alot of stuff listed in there that I thought was going too far. But I know that some people like to feel as if they have done the most they can for the car they drive. So I try not to say too much.

If you really want to save alot, just have them do the tranny flush, differential, Power steering, cooling system and brake fluid. But the cooling system should be fine also. Even if you just drained it at home and refilled it would be more than sufficient so long as you use the correct coolant and distilled water everything else on the list is a visual inspection and adjust if needed. The oil change, air filter, ac filter, and so on, you can have done anytime, and do it yourself. The spark plugs maaaayyybeeeeeee need to be replaced. But if they are iridium, you should be fine as lenore pointed out.

For the 3 or 4 LS400's and one RX300 that I have taken beyond 60,000 miles they got, DIY, an oil and filter, cabin air filter, and a quite thorough looksee at the brake/ATF/PS/coolant and that was THAT. If you have a hot tub/spa then you have the means to check the Ph of the coolant and you can purchase an inexpensive bulb/gauge instrument for checking the coolant freezing level.

Mobil 1 six pack, $30, Lexus oil filter, $15 (don't actually remember), cabin air filter, $5 (3M furnace air filter fabricated into THREE cabin air filters)...$50..???

The ATF was changed out, twice, in my '01 AWD RX300 at about 40,000, since upon my fluid check at that point it smelled burned and appeared dirty/contaminated. Twice, since at first I didn't know about the ATF in the diff'l that has to be drained separately. But it would have probably required two drain and refills anyway to gey more/most of the burned and contaminated ATF out. Now approaching 70,000 miles and it looks as if the ATF will need to be drained and refilled before 80,000.

Finally had to drain and refill the factory coolant in our '92 LS after 12 years and 110,000 miles. It still "measured" okay but looked a bit murky.