Replacing A/c Clutch - Am I Getting Myself In Trouble?

Nenad

A/C quit working on my '99 RX300. Dealer service diagnosed that clutch and condenser need to be replaced, but they ask too much for that service. After doing some research on the internet I figured out that parts and labor for that kind of work go for at least half the price, if not 3X. So I'm thinking of doing it myself, especially after finding some source on the net, where people are saying that they do that kind of work themselves, and there are freon replacement kits to buy in ordinary auto-parts store...etc...

My question is how difficult is to do that on RX300? How accessible the clutch is, do I need to disassemble the whole compressor...etc?

I'm particularily worried about freon evac and recharge. Should I let the professional do it, especially if there is a need to remove potential debris from the system? Is it common for example, to ask a professional to remove the freon and evac, then I do part replacement, then drive the car back to the same shop to recharge the freon?

I'm aware these are all "rookie" questions, but that's what I am - I only did some basic mechanical work on a car. I hope there will be more experienced owners with a good advice.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, let a professional do it. There are a lot of specific tools that are used in A/C repair, and skill (like being careful not to overcharge the system). I went through this on our ES300. I ended up shopping around for parts (www.rockauto.com and www.autopartswarehouse.com are some of the better supply companies), got the parts for cheap, and went to a local shop I trusted, handed over the parts and asked them to install them and reset my system. They did, but said they wouldn't warranty the parts (no problem), just the labor. The job came out around $1000 total and it's blowing cold air perfectly. By the way, that was a compressor replacement, expansion valve, and condensor/drier.

Looks like to me you can replace the clutch seperatly, however if the shaft seal is leaking you will need a compressor.

Probably best access is through the wheel well with the cover removed...

It can be accessed throught he wheel well and does need some extensive labor to be removed. I may suggest replacing the entire compressor if the cost is not too great a discrepency. The clutch can be replaced, but you compressor has wear and tear on it as well, so it could be beneficial to replace it and be done with it. You do need some specialty tools to remove the freon (vacuum pump and connections). It is not an amatuer job, but if you have experience I would do it.

I second tjmc11's input of replacing the entire compressor... with that many miles and wear, and since you're going to be getting into the A/C system anyway, it's best just to replace the entire unit. I got a remanufactured HR&M unit for around $250. I see www.discountacparts.com has one for $265 with clutch and all plus no core charge.... or you can get brand new for $295.

I have replaced a/c clutches before on other cars that did not require any unusual acrobatics or contortions to access the compressor. That said, the clutch is actually fairly easy to remove (at least on my Acura and Buick). In addition, I also replaced the condensor which is nothing more than a radiator-type device. Once the condensor was replaced with one from Advance Auto, I had an a/c shop do the vacuum and recharge the system. You can always have the same shop evacuate your system so as to no add more freon pollutants to the air.

Just my two cents.

Gary