Headlights Restored!

CVN86

• 1 month later...

you can maintain your lenses (refurbed or not) with some Scratch Dr or any LIGHT abrasive (rubbing compound) that is used to remove swirls and minor scratches in paint. Do NOT use a buffer with it, paper towels works great. Rub in straight lines not circles. My lights were yellowing when I got my car and now they look new from just keeping them up with a scratch remover and keeping a thick coat of wax on them between cleanings. I do not use my DRLs (daytime running lights) this increases the frequency which you have to use the cleaner.

I've polished my headlights too. I used the Permatex kit you find at Advance, Pep Boys, etc.... bout $15. It includes the various grits of wet sandpaper and some polishing compound with a soft cloth for it.

Worked great, headlights are clear as glass.

Really the key is the wetsanding. From more coarse to less coarse. Only in one direction with each grit, never in circles. You can swap directions in between grits, but always in the same direction with each grit.

So long as you wetsand, really any kit will work. The reason some do not work as well or last as long is because they are only polish kits. Polishing alone will help, but its the wetsanding that keeps the clearest look for the longest time.

you can maintain your lenses (refurbed or not) with some Scratch Dr or any LIGHT abrasive (rubbing compound) that is used to remove swirls and minor scratches in paint. Do NOT use a buffer with it, paper towels works great. Rub in straight lines not circles. My lights were yellowing when I got my car and now they look new from just keeping them up with a scratch remover and keeping a thick coat of wax on them between cleanings. I do not use my DRLs (daytime running lights) this increases the frequency which you have to use the cleaner.

Paper towels? Yikes...I wouldn't.

Stick with the techniques that are outlined here and elsewhere on the site...

I redid the plastic lenses on my ES about a year ago.

I used a product called CrystalView. I found it at WalMart of all places. It was $20 for the packet and contains enough to do both sides.

CrystalView Website

It comes with two grades of sand paper, pads, detailed instructions, two x two chemical packets (one was a polish compound and the other was a clear chemical sealer). It took about an hour to do both sides. You have to wet sand, polish, rinse, let dry, apply, let dry, apply again and then you are done.

The lights looked like new and last much longer than traditional buffing.

steviej

I have always seen this product around but have never heard from anyone if it really worked or not. After reading your post I decided to get a packet and give it a try. And as you said, it works amazingly! The headlights on my 98 ES look like brand new again; the difference clear headlights make on a car is remarkable. Ive used PlastX many times before, but it always came back within a month or two, plus it was clear that the oxidation was still there. I highly recommend the Clear View system to anyone who is looking for an affordable, easy, way to clear their headlights.