96 Ls400 A/c Problem

lucerne

compressor comes and runs fine but no cold air, its a 96 LS400, whats my problem?

Does the compressor run continuously or in intervals...?

The remix vane door may be stuck in the full reheat position.

compressor comes and runs fine but no cold air, its a 96 LS400, whats my problem?

yes the compressor runs continuously. where is remix vane door located? I also noticed the electric fan in the front isnt coming on. is that a condensor fan?

Can't say for the 96, but in the 92, it's located high on the firewall, left side in engine compartment. It should have a small wire cable running to it as well as a hot water (radiator) hose. I believe it is that valve that he is refering to. If it is stuck in the open position, it will mix hot and cold to give a more uniform temp inside.

Make sure the cable has pulled back all the way on the valve (toward firewall) so that it is closed, and no hot is mixed in.

Ready to eat crow burgers if I misread this ;)

There is a way to get diagnostic codes from the Air Conditioning system.

-Press Auto and Recirculate at the same time. Keep them pressed while turning ignition to ON.

- All the lights should flash and buzzer should sound 4 times @ 1 flash and buzz/second

- The temperature display should display a code.

- There may be more than one code. Use the Up key to slow them down and display one at a time.

Post the code and we can go from there.

• 2 months later...

-Press Auto and Recirculate at the same time. Keep them pressed while turning ignition to ON.

- All the lights should flash and buzzer should sound 4 times @ 1 flash and buzz/second

- There may be more than one code. Use the Up key to slow them down and display one at a time.

I am getting codes 21, 23, and 43. Can someone tell me what these mean?

I am getting codes 21, 23, and 43. Can someone tell me what these mean?

Hi folks,

First of all, you need to check the sight glass to see if refrigerant is circulating when your compressor is on. If you have guages, hook them up to check the high and low side pressures. The sight glass should be near the front of the radiator and condensor above the drier which is a cylindrical object the size of a large soda can. There should be refrigerant flowing through there with some bubbles. If this is not the case, you probably lost refrigerant. Too many bubbles also means insufficient refrigerant. if insufficient, try charging it temporarily by getting a can of r-134a at the store. 1996 should be r-134a. Be very careful, things are under high pressure and a mistake could cost you your health. If unsure, take it to an a/c shop. If leaking, it is probably a compressor seal, a flexible hose or your evap/expansion valve and it needs to be replaced.

Let us know what you find.

Yo

Can you replace the seals in the compressor or is it not a servicable item. My LS400 leaks it's freon out in about a month and goes warm. Refill and it's fine for a while. Car has 190k, are there any normal things that go bad on these cars to cause a leak? We've put dye in the refrigerant and can't see it coming out anywhere. Thanks!

The shaft seal can be replaced on the Nippondenso 10PA20c but it is very difficult. Buy the seal at the dealer. You can buy a good rebuild from DENSO the original manufacturer with clutch and magnet for 600 something dollars. It is probably worth it. You might as well try changing the shaft seal once. Give it a try. it's less than a hundred dollars.

Yo