Daytime Leds

Sheetqt

Hi, Is there anyway besides actually removing the bulb of the daytime LEDs to turn them off? I played around with the switches and the last "OFF" setting apparently turned off the LEDs on the corner of the headlights, which seems completely unnecessary to me. Also, is there anyway keep the headlights off while keeping the fog lights on?

Thanks!

Hi, Is there anyway besides actually removing the bulb of the daytime LEDs to turn them off? I played around with the switches and the last "OFF" setting apparently turned off the LEDs on the corner of the headlights, which seems completely unnecessary to me. Also, is there anyway keep the headlights off while keeping the fog lights on?

Thanks!

Wow another one. Don't understand why you want to turn off a safety feature that has been documented by General Motors to reduce front end collisions. <_< You will notice newer model motorcycles now have no headlight on-off switch as well. Soon this will be a Federal safety requirement for all motor vehicles. All GM vehicles have had them for years.

The daytime running lights are not LEDs, they are the high beam bulbs at low power.

I'm not so sure they use the high beam bulbs at low power on the ES350, but I could be wrong?? :rolleyes:

P.S. I think they use the low beam lamps at low power.

Its high beams at low power.

The low beams are HID projectors, they use the halogen high beams for the DRLs. Look at the light casings, the projectors towards the outside are the low beams, the reflectors towards the inside are the high beams, and the DRLs.

Its high beams at low power.

The low beams are HID projectors, they use the halogen high beams for the DRLs. Look at the light casings, the projectors towards the outside are the low beams, the reflectors towards the inside are the high beams, and the DRLs.

The "job" of DRLs is to allow oncoming drivers to see you at the longest distance reasonable in marginal light conditions. Conditions wherein your own forward vision does not require headlights, dusk, dawn, or shadows. The high beam assembly/reflector has the most correct distance focus for that. Their brightness is reduced, typicially, via having the two bulbs along with a voltage dropping resistor in a series circuit.

That results in a bit less than 6 volts each and that often results in shortening the life, "usefull" life, of halogen bulbs. Dramatically so in some cases, as little as 12,000 miles in the case of my '01 AWD RX300. BTW, my '01 RX is now equipped with 3 watt Luxeon LEDs with forward focussed collimator lens each side within the headlight assembly in the forward facing street/parking position.

The european car makers are now using, since at least '01, a small 6 watt halogen bulbs mounted "stratigically" in each HB reflector.

The ones in my '01 911/996 have been replaced with LEDs.