Es300 Tranny - No Reverse

Recently our '95 ES300 threw a P0770. I drained the fluid, removed pan and saw no particles on magnets or in pan. I put everything back together and erased the code. All was fine for about 300 miles then my son said the CEL returned and a little while later slipping in all gears.

We towed it home and checked the CEL and it was P0770. This time when I pulled the pan I also remove the shift valve and the SL solenoid. Solenoid tested ok so I cleaned it and reinstalled. On my test drive I can manually go thru the gears but if I start out in D there seems to be no shift. Also I have no reverse now or very little reverse. The CEL came on again. This time there are 2 codes - P0753 and P0758 which I gather are related to solenoids 1 and 2. I noticed when I had the valve body out that the wiring on all solenoids was very brittle. I'm wondering if during install I might have done something to the wiring of 1 and 2 that could be causing the CEL and the lack of 1-2-D shift. Also, would that have any bearing on the no reverse issue?

Thanks!

The problem with the 2 codes has been resolved but still no reverse. As I understand this transmission, solenoid operation has nothing to do with reverse (if I'm wrong in this assumption please correct me). So, I have an opportunity to get my hands on a used A541E that is still operational. I plan to do a swap at this point...can't wait!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've started the tranny swap and have a question. The driver side axle came off easily. the passenger side is a little more difficult. Any suggestions on how to get the center axle out? It appears everythng is removed and disconnected that needs to be but it won't pry away from the tranny.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got the right transmission and it's installed and so far so good (everything works and no codes). Actually not as difficult as I expected but very time consuming. It took me about 3 weeks working an hour here and an hour there. I estimate about 35-40 hours of actual working time. The tranny cost me $325, I also bought a HF engine hoist for $99. While i had the thing all apart I went ahead and replaced power steering hoses. All in all I think I spent about $500.

bb