Satellite Radio

I'm picking up my new 2008 IS250 on Monday with NAV (2nd one in 2 weeks- long story :)). I'm curious to know what people on here think about paying the dealer to install the satellite radio equipment for the NAV. I think they want $500. It seems better to use the NAV as opposed to buying an aftermarket unit that would require mounting, even though it costs less and is obviously portable.

Also, any thoughts on how the XM/Sirius merger might come into play? I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere on this forum.

I had XM in TL and loved it...particularly for the news, sports and talk stuff when I was tired of music. I will be putting XM into my car soon. I use and iPod for music too. But the choices I can get from satellite.

If you get it, suggest you negotiate a single multi year payment...you can sometimes get them to a 50% discount.

I'm picking up my new 2008 IS250 on Monday with NAV (2nd one in 2 weeks- long story :)). I'm curious to know what people on here think about paying the dealer to install the satellite radio equipment for the NAV. I think they want $500. It seems better to use the NAV as opposed to buying an aftermarket unit that would require mounting, even though it costs less and is obviously portable.

Also, any thoughts on how the XM/Sirius merger might come into play? I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere on this forum.

The key is to have something go wrong with the original car you were SUPPOSE to buy then have them install Sirius for free for you. :P Anyways that is how it worked for me, i personally love Sirius and with the amount of driving i do i cant stand regular radio. All i keep hearing is commercials, i cant wait for the dealer to get the sirius unit so they can get it installed.

The merger shouldnt really effect anything, as they will be offering packages that work on both. For example in my case i have Sirius but when they merge i would like to add the MLB package which currently is only available on XM i could do that. That is what i have heard we'll see how they decide to price and divide the content.

Quick side question and i dont want to hijack your thread frogs but for anyone that currently has it installed on their cars, does the dealer need your account info before they can set it up or how does it get added to your account? I have my stiletto100 but i want to add the lexus unit as a 2nd radio so i only pay 6 bux or whatever it is extra. Thanks

I had XM in TL and loved it...particularly for the news, sports and talk stuff when I was tired of music. I will be putting XM into my car soon. I use and iPod for music too. But the choices I can get from satellite.

If you get it, suggest you negotiate a single multi year payment...you can sometimes get them to a 50% discount.

Thanks... now that you mention it, seems like I do recall the discount for paying in full.

The key is to have something go wrong with the original car you were SUPPOSE to buy then have them install Sirius for free for you. :P Anyways that is how it worked for me, i personally love Sirius and with the amount of driving i do i cant stand regular radio. All i keep hearing is commercials, i cant wait for the dealer to get the sirius unit so they can get it installed.

The merger shouldnt really effect anything, as they will be offering packages that work on both. For example in my case i have Sirius but when they merge i would like to add the MLB package which currently is only available on XM i could do that. That is what i have heard we'll see how they decide to price and divide the content.

Quick side question and i dont want to hijack your thread frogs but for anyone that currently has it installed on their cars, does the dealer need your account info before they can set it up or how does it get added to your account? I have my stiletto100 but i want to add the lexus unit as a 2nd radio so i only pay 6 bux or whatever it is extra. Thanks

I can't cope with standard radio either!!!!

So basically whatever equipment is being installed to run it thru the NAV can't be purchased and installed by say Best Buy or Circuit City?

So basically whatever equipment is being installed to run it thru the NAV can't be purchased and installed by say Best Buy or Circuit City?

Frogs I believe toyotas/Lexus's need two different pieces to make it work with the indash nav unit. My dealer said they had one of the parts but the other was back ordered. I believe these are the two pieces they are talking about. http://www.tss-radio.com/toyota-lexus-and-...age-p-5709.html

I am not sure if best buy/circuit city would carry the parts as they are specific to different types of cars, but im sure you could get them off their sites. I dont know if they would do the install either.

Frogs I believe toyotas/Lexus's need two different pieces to make it work with the indash nav unit. My dealer said they had one of the parts but the other was back ordered. I believe these are the two pieces they are talking about. http://www.tss-radio.com/toyota-lexus-and-...age-p-5709.html

I am not sure if best buy/circuit city would carry the parts as they are specific to different types of cars, but im sure you could get them off their sites. I dont know if they would do the install either.

k... thanks for that info.

It is VERY VERY VERY easy to install the OEM sat radio stuff yourself... it's all done in the trunk and should maybe take an hour tops...all plug and play if the car is an 07 or newer.

The only reason I'd suggest possibly ordering it with a new car (which'll cost about $150-200 more than doing it yourself after the fact) would be that it'd be covered by the vehicle warranty... up to you if that's worth the cost difference.

The dealer doesn't do anything to set up your account, you get the radio ID off your display and call XM (or sirius) yourself and do it. (well, I suppose they might make the call for you if you give em all the info they need, but no reason for them to)

It's pretty easy to the service for $77/yr even if you're only doing a year at a time

It is VERY VERY VERY easy to install the OEM sat radio stuff yourself... it's all done in the trunk and should maybe take an hour tops...all plug and play if the car is an 07 or newer.

The only reason I'd suggest possibly ordering it with a new car (which'll cost about $150-200 more than doing it yourself after the fact) would be that it'd be covered by the vehicle warranty... up to you if that's worth the cost difference.

The dealer doesn't do anything to set up your account, you get the radio ID off your display and call XM (or sirius) yourself and do it. (well, I suppose they might make the call for you if you give em all the info they need, but no reason for them to)

It's pretty easy to the service for $77/yr even if you're only doing a year at a time

Thanks... would the "how to" be found in the DIY section? I thought I read that the equipment bought aftermarket would not include instructions.

Quick knowledge for all considering. As stated earlier, installation just requires removing trunk panels and hook up to unit in trunk (for 06 you'll need to run an antenna to back deck). You can get the install instructions & unit from Sewell in Tx.

I went to dealer here in PA and the Service semi-manager quoted my $999...told me that wires needed to be run from trunk to Head unit and hooked up. Well I took the install instruction to the Service Manager and wanted to know deal. Needless to say he returned w/tail between legs and a price of $480 (unit and install).

Watch these guys...

Quick knowledge for all considering. As stated earlier, installation just requires removing trunk panels and hook up to unit in trunk (for 06 you'll need to run an antenna to back deck). You can get the install instructions & unit from Sewell in Tx.

I went to dealer here in PA and the Service semi-manager quoted my $999...told me that wires needed to be run from trunk to Head unit and hooked up. Well I took the install instruction to the Service Manager and wanted to know deal. Needless to say he returned w/tail between legs and a price of $480 (unit and install).

Watch these guys...

I looked at the install instructions on the Sewell site, and it did not look like an hour job.

Very detailed instructions on mounting the unit under the seat and taking apart the dash.

Was this changed for 08?

Ok, I noticed that the XM tuner is installed via the trunk and the Sirius one is installed under the seat connected to the unit in the dash. (much harder installation)

Anyone know why the difference?

• 2 weeks later...

My XM was $480 installed by the dealer service people. Well worth it on long trips not to have to listen to all that FM yap. If you have Nav and the shark fin already, do not go near the after market units. When I renewed Sirius a few months ago on my wife's MB, they offered $400 for life. I had my CC out before the guy finished the offer.

Nav has nothing to do with XM

If your IS is an 07 or newer it's totally plug and play regardless of having nav, ml, or any other option on the car using the lexus OEM parts. Installs in your trunk, easy to do yourself.

If your IS is an 06 it's the exact same thing except you'll need an antenna too (available to work with the kit from sewell as well) so it's only slightly less easy to do yourself.

I don't know, I guess it depends on your driving and listening habits.

I had a Sirius S-50 2 or 3 years ago and I got rid of it after three months because I went through 6 or 8 defective radios.

I rented a car a few months ago with a sirius radio a few months ago for a trip to NY an I liked it but wasn't very impressed with it because I lost reception a few times.

I got rid of the RX400H and replaced it with a GS450H 8 days ago. And this may sound crazy but I went in to get NY state inspection on the RX and mentioned I wanted to get a GS but had over a year left on the lease. I was more concerned with the numbers than the color so I didn't even know what color it was till I walked out to look at it. It was white [same as the RX] and after I signed the deal they told me it had an XM radio. I still haven't activated the XM yet but I heard the XM gets better reception than Sirius. I listen to mostly talk radio and MP3s of old radio shows from the 1930's, 40's and 50's. I checked the listings and XM has a lot of talk shops and an old radio channel. $13 isn't that much but I am retired and don't drive that much. Five minutes to the supermarket, 15 minutes to the gun range, and two or three 1600 mile round trips to NY and back three times a year. But most of the time the car sits in the garage without moving for days at a time. I am going to wait to activate the free trial when I make my next trip to NY to really give it a trial. In my case for the amount of driving I do it doesn't seem worth it but since I already have it in my car I may keep it after the free trial.

silvercorvette,

Im not doubting you at all, but I was under the impression that both Sirius and XM use the same satellite, is that not correct ? Ive only lost my signal a few times, and only for less than a minute, way out in the trails totaly covered by trees, lol.

silvercorvette,

Im not doubting you at all, but I was under the impression that both Sirius and XM use the same satellite, is that not correct ? Ive only lost my signal a few times, and only for less than a minute, way out in the trails totaly covered by trees, lol.

No, that's not correct. Currently they are completely separate companies using completely different satellites for broadcast.

XM uses XM Rhythm at 115° west longitude and XM Blues at 85° west longitude in addition to a network of ground-based repeaters. These are in geostationary orbit. The XM signal uses 12.5 MHz of the S band: 2332.5 to 2345.0 MHz.

Sirius has 3 satellites that are in a geosync highly eliptical orbit, not geostationary so their position changes throughout the day. Sirius broadcasts using 12.5 MHz of the S band between 2320 and 2332.5 MHz.

There's some other technology differences as well... for example the Sirius signal is separated into three carriers, one each for the two satellites, and the third for the terrestrial repeater network where available. Sirius receivers decode all three 4 MHz carrier signals at once to achieve signal diversity. This is in contrast to XM which uses six carriers and decodes three 2 MHz carriers to economize on receiver power consumption and complexity at the cost of channel-changing speed.

The above is why if/when the two companies DO merge you won't pick up the others signals on old receivers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The factory installed Sirius system is horrible. I have a 2008 GS350 and the reception is horrible. BTW, I understand that Lexus is no longer installing Sirius systems as factory OEM. I hate it.

Ok, I noticed that the XM tuner is installed via the trunk and the Sirius one is installed under the seat connected to the unit in the dash. (much harder installation)

Anyone know why the difference?

What's the difference? Sirius doesn't work right on OEM installation. Lexus has stopped installing Sirius in their cars, so I hear...