More Specific Stereo Backlighting Question

jcrome04

Hey guys, JCrome here! (97LS ~143k miles)

I just recently had one of my LCD backlighting bulbs burn out (the left side of the stereo display) I searched for my options... found a little info but not so lucky on everything. So I just have a few more questions! I also want to switch out all the bulbs while i'm back there to get it all over with.

#1. I've heard the bulbs are a very expensive..."special" kind of bulb. Where is the best place to buy them??

#2. Are there color options available for these bulbs?? I would love to get away from the old "greenish" color.

#3. Are the sleeves around the bulbs nessecary? What is the purpose of the sleeve?

#4. Is there a DIY anywhere Showing how to remove the stereo and climate units to get to the bulbs?? I'd assume it's either, the top vents snap out and go from the top down. Or the wood grain around the shifter pops out by the cup holders and go from the bottom up. (think that's how it was in my 91, I just don't want to start ripping things off!)

:cheers:

Thanks to everyone in advance!

I just recently had one of my LCD backlighting bulbs burn out (the left side of the stereo display) I searched for my options... found a little info but not so lucky on everything. So I just have a few more questions! I also want to switch out all the bulbs while i'm back there to get it all over with.

#1. I've heard the bulbs are a very expensive..."special" kind of bulb. Where is the best place to buy them??

#2. Are there color options available for these bulbs?? I would love to get away from the old "greenish" color.

#3. Are the sleeves around the bulbs nessecary? What is the purpose of the sleeve?

#4. Is there a DIY anywhere Showing how to remove the stereo and climate units to get to the bulbs?? I'd assume it's either, the top vents snap out and go from the top down. Or the wood grain around the shifter pops out by the cup holders and go from the bottom up. (think that's how it was in my 91, I just don't want to start ripping things off!)

Hey JC, I'm in a similar boat as you. Some of the bulbs behind my A/C unit have burned out. I started dismantling mine but after I couldn't find the bulbs cheaper than the $15 for each bulb that Lexus of Tampa Bay quoted me, I decided to live with it for the time being. I've heard of some guys retrofitting the bulbs with LED's but I think you may lose the dimming function. As far as the sleeve, I think it's necessary unless you solder them in (LED application). The link below shows how to remove radio on a 1st gen LS, but it pretty much worked for me on my 2nd gen LS. If you find out any more info make sure and post it, as I'm sure you and I are not the only ones in this predicament. :cheers:

Ray

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html

Damn. I don't really feel like modding LEDs to fit. I'll stick with stock.

What's the part # for the bulbs? Where did you look for them??

I called Lexus of Tampa Bay and they were the ones who gave me the highest price (surprise, surprise) and also gave me the part number. I called a Toyota dealership and they said that that part number is Lexus only part number. Someone told me about guy on here named Jim Walker I believe, that sold the bulbs. I contacted him and he offered me a great deal, but his bulbs were for the 1st gen LS, and Lexus told me that the 2nd gen used different bulbs. After all that I looked around online some more and the cheapest I could find was something to the tone of $12 per bulb and I believe the A/C panel uses 7 or 8 bulbs. I can't find the part number, and the parts dept here is closed. On your side of the country a dealership should be open, you might be able to get a part number from them. Good luck, man.

Ray

JC I wish you better luck than I had talking to the parts dept at Lexus of Tampa Bay. That guy was such a jack*ss. I know how dealerships work as I used to sell cars before, and you always try to get the customer in the door, you sell the apointment. But you don't just talk yourself around in circles that makes you look arrogant and stupid. He was adamit with the idea that there is no way for him to know what kind of bulbs there is behind the panel of the A/C unit, and the only way is to match them up after they have the thing taken apart. He has no idea of how many bulbs there is, he has no way ot knowing the part number either, AND prices can range from $10-$15. I asked him about the radio unit and he said there is no fix for that except changing out the whole head unit. I hate that "Holier than thou" attitude. :chairshot: He obviously needs to work with things, and not people.

Did you happen to run across this ?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83 ;)

Hey thanks DC lots on info on there :)

But mine's not the LCD display but just the backlighting bulbs.. I think I've figured out how to get the unit out but now just need to find the bulbs... wish there were different colors :(

But I guess while I'm on topic..

What's the process for changing them to LEDs?? Is this difficult? I think I remember seeing a post on this but I can't find it :(

I wouldn't be opposed to this as it's turning out it will probably be signifigantly cheaper to do LEDs...

Once more.. Raymsixsix I found an old post of yours. The part # for the bulb is 84999-60460. Cheapest I've found yet is at lexuspartsonline.com for $8.20 a piece.

How many bulbs ARE there?????

Once more.. Raymsixsix I found an old post of yours. The part # for the bulb is 84999-60460. Cheapest I've found yet is at lexuspartsonline.com for $8.20 a piece.

How many bulbs ARE there?????

Thanks JC... For the A/C I believe there are 7 or 8 total, 3 green and 4 or 5 blue or viceversa. For the Audio, I haven't a clue

Ok so I called Lexus of Seattle. The guy in parts told me that..

In the Climate screen there are 8 bulbs. 5 bulbs are 84999-60460, and 3 bulbs are #84999-60450. $11.91 a piece.

He didn't have any in stock so couldn't tell me whether they were green or blue. But did note there WAS a difference in wattage.

He said the bulbs for the stereo unit itself were NOT replaceable... is this true? I find that hard to believe they would be IMPOSSIBLE to change...

Well...just found out some MORE info on my never-ending bulb quest :rolleyes: hahaha

Are the bulbs T1-1/4 WT??

Reason being I was reading a post (can't remember if it was here or at CL) That someone got Blue boots for they're bulbs from sunraylighting.com

I called them (1.800.722.6068 great customer service!) the part THEY got for their bulbs was # "39-06-5a" which is currently discontinued. The gentleman looked up OTHER T1-1/4 WT boots for me and found part # "39-04-5a" Which is the same thing but slightly shorter so it won't cover the ENTIRE bulb all the way to the base (Don't think it's that big of a deal) and they are only $0.51 a piece, and come in a pack of 10.

Now I just need to get this business with the stereo bulbs not being able to be replaced straightened out so I can get this ball rolling!

Well...just found out some MORE info on my never-ending bulb quest :rolleyes: hahaha

Are the bulbs T1-1/4 WT??

Reason being I was reading a post (can't remember if it was here or at CL) That someone got Blue boots for they're bulbs from sunraylighting.com

I called them (1.800.722.6068 great customer service!) the part THEY got for their bulbs was # "39-06-5a" which is currently discontinued. The gentleman looked up OTHER T1-1/4 WT boots for me and found part # "39-04-5a" Which is the same thing but slightly shorter so it won't cover the ENTIRE bulb all the way to the base (Don't think it's that big of a deal) and they are only $0.51 a piece, and come in a pack of 10.

Now I just need to get this business with the stereo bulbs not being able to be replaced straightened out so I can get this ball rolling!

Good work JC! :cheers: I find it hard to believe that one cannot change the bulbs on the radio unit, but Lexus of Tampa told me the same thing.

Thanks, and yeah that's too bad if they can't be changed :( hopefully someone with some more knowledge on this topic will stumble upon this post! lol :lol:

Ps. On a side note. The lexls.com tutorial of replacing climate control lighting is for a 1st gen. He used T1.5 twist lock type LEDs from superbrightleds.com even though the bulbs in the climate display are different from 1st gen to 2nd gen does anyone think the T1.5 LED would work??

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74_t15.htm

Ok the stereo unit is a lost cause.... :( :( :(

Here's a quote from a member of CL

"The stereo lighting is surface-mount LED's if I recall correctly. While it IS possible to replace them, it involves some precision soldering and stuff. Plus, you have to find the LED's from an electronics supplier, Toyota will not sell them separately." -pfantom68

Maybe I'll put all of this info into one post and a mod can sticky it. I know this would have been VERY helpful to me! I've been doing a LOT of digging the last couple days :). Now I just need to figure out about the T1.5's from superbrightleds.com working on a 2nd gen.. I wouldn't mind having blue lights! :D but their LED's are looking spendy. Maybe I'll just get the boots and put them on the stock bulbs

So..........CRAP! :censored:

I did a parts request at irontoad for the bulbs ($7 and some change each)

They told me that they don't light up the LCD. Just the buttons...

Is THIS true????

Am I just SOL with my burnt out LCD lighting????

Not yet. . . I should though. I've been lazy just trying to figure out all this info! lol.

Maybe I will tomorrow. Nothin better to do on a Saturday afternoon. Grab a few cold ones and a screw driver B) lol

Pfantom68 from CL just soldered single LEDs into the twist lock things.. that wold be a cheap and easy route! :)

So I think I might just buy some twist lock LEDs from superbrightleds.com

We've figured out there are 8 bulbs in the climate display.. Does anyone know how many are in the stereo? ? I might just have to pull everything apart and find out..

I'll probably just solder in some new LEDs to the LCD displays...

I think I'll have to go for blue LEDs

So I did it! (by this point I think I'm basically talking to myself) :lol:

I took apart my center console, removed the climate & stereo units and took them apart. . . and YES i took a ton of pictures. So when I order new bulbs (probably LED's) I'll try and make a DIY for the 2nd gen.

Turns out there are 5 twist lock bulbs on the climate unit, NOT 8 Unless you have to rip it apart even more than I did to get to another 3 bulbs. Maybe there are 3 underneath the board holding the 5 twist locks?????

All I could get to on the stereo were 2 soldered in single LEDs behind the LCD screen. I couldn't really get this "ribbon" wire thing off, and I didn't want to force it and end up breaking something, so I didn't take the circuit boards apart anymore to see if there were bulbs behind it for the buttons of the stereo...

So all in all. I think I'm going to replace almost all of the interior/dash lights with blue LEDs, the console with blue twist lock LED's, and the reading lamps probably with bright white LEDs (so they're still functional)