3 Sets Of Front Rotors In 3 Years?

Car is a 1999 ES 300 with roughly 114k miles.

In the last 2.5 years the mechanic has replaced the front rotors 3 times.

The first time 2.5 years ago...front rotors replaced.

7 months later rotors were replaced again; this time they were covered under a warranty of some sort (car is out of factory warranty...I think the rotors were warrantied for some reason)

Last year front rotors were replaced again along with the front brake pads.

Now the brake light is on in the car and the car feels like there is something going on with the front brakes...car is at the mechanics.

Shouldn't rotors last 80k miles? So far I've spent almost $500 on the front brakes in the last 2.5 years...and I might be spending more today...not to mention taking the car in this often is a pain.

Anyone have any insights? Is this typical of the ES 300 to have front brake issues?

BTW...nothing unusual has happened to the car and the car is driven in a very normal way.

Thanks.

Brake pads & rotor longevity depend on a number of factors. You say you drive in 'a normal way' what does that mean? Give us an idea of your driving style.

Also, what type of rotors & pads are you using? IE: aftermarket or OEM?

:cheers:

That seems awfully odd to have to replace rotors like that. What are they looking like at the 'time of replacement'? Warped? Excessive wear? Grooves?

Was any other repair done to the brakes at the time of repair/replacement of the rotors? I'm presuming pads were changed, but were the calipers inspected? You might have a dragging caliper creating too much heat and causing warpage. That's just one possiblity.

Last year, I used cheap ceramic pads and cheap rotors. The rotors gone within a year.

I am not sure about the expensive ceramic pads with cheap rotors.

Good luck!

cheap or expensive, ceramic pads eat up rotors quicker than traditional organic material pads.

steviej

What about Calipers?

provided the rubber boots are not damaged and leaking and the caliper itself is not seizing, then there is not reason to replace the most expensive part of the brakes. If it ain't a problem then leave em alone.

I agree with what Randy&Bonnie said about the rotors.'

For what little they cost, I do replace the shims when new pads go on and apply some "brake quiet" when installing the new shims.

steviej

You don't mention who is doing the repairs for you. Is it a Lexus dealer or a local shop? Also, what symptoms are you experiencing? Why were the rotors replace? And as everyone has already asked, are they oem? To check if your rotors are warped, step on the brake with enough pressure to make a hard stop but short of activating the abs. If they are warped, you will feel a pulsation in the pedal. If you have a caliper that's seizing, you will need less pressure on the pedal to slow the car and will most likely feel a pull to one side of the car unless they are both seizing equally (unlikely). You will also find one wheel hotter than the other during normal driving without much use of the brakes. As for the parts, OEM all the way. Less worries, less trouble, and guaranteed top level quality. Basically you get what you pay for.