My 95 Es300 Got Hot Today. Coolant Started Boiling

today i was parked idling for about 20 minutes or so and i noticed my temp gauge was higher than normal so i shut the car off and opened the hood. i noticed that there was a small hole on the top corner of the coolant overflow tank and the coolant was and the coolant was boiling and coming out of the hole. i'm going to patch the hole but that doesn't explain why it was boiling. i drove home and it stayed at normal temp. i kept it running and opened the hood to see if the fan was working and it was. anyone know why my car could have got this hot?

Why were you letting your car idle for 20+ minutes in the first place? :blink: Your getting 0 mpg by doing that.

What is your current mileage & when was the last time you had a coolant flush? Your thermostat might also need to be replaced as it sounds like it might be getting stuck.

so today i put a new thermostat in hoping it would fix the problem. i went for a ride and the coolant overflow tank is still boiling. i hope i didn't put the thermostat in backwards. i put it with the spring facing towards/inside the engine. any ideas??

I had the same issues with my '93 es300.

Radiator caps (springs) could be weak and allowing coolant to 'blow' out. . . to recovery bottle.

However, head gaskets were the ultimate cause of my overheating and 'Old Faithful' issues.

The pressure from the cylinders were 'over-pressurizing' the cooling system and that was causing the boiling over.

(I'm also amazed that coolant wasn't drawn into the cylinders and into the 'bottom end' of the engine! I got REAL lucky!)

The repair shop foreman promised to send photos of the old head gaskets and cylinder heads, but, I haven't received them, yet.

i did notice coolant coming out of the radiator cap where the red lever is. i don't see how this could be the head gaskets already. i just put this motor in and it only had 96k on it. does anyone know if i put the thermostat in right?

i did notice coolant coming out of the radiator cap where the red lever is. i don't see how this could be the head gaskets already. i just put this motor in and it only had 96k on it. does anyone know if i put the thermostat in right?

normally spring down in just about anything (and by anything, I mean Mopar, besides lexus, what else is there?)

today i was parked idling for about 20 minutes or so and i noticed my temp gauge was higher than normal so i shut the car off and opened the hood. i noticed that there was a small hole on the top corner of the coolant overflow tank and the coolant was and the coolant was boiling and coming out of the hole. i'm going to patch the hole but that doesn't explain why it was boiling. i drove home and it stayed at normal temp. i kept it running and opened the hood to see if the fan was working and it was. anyone know why my car could have got this hot?

If you noticed coolant coming out from the reservoir cap then the

cap is ok. It's designed to release excessive pressure when the engine

is overheating. If your temp is ok on the road, and only overheats

when idling, then your thermostat is ok and your problem is airflow.

Your fan is not providing enough cooling.

yes you put it in right spring goes towards the engine buddy i just did mine two days ago and check your rad caps.