My Rx400h: Stolen!

The RX does have an alarm, but it's not one of those high tech fancy aftermarket ones that SKperformance has. The Toyota/Lexus alarms are simple. They alarm when someone opens a door or tries to start it w/o the key transponder. I don't believe it has glass breakage sensor though (I had to have the Toyota alarm installed on my 4Runner since it came w/o an alarm but supposidly the alarm came with a glass breakage sensor) but obviously I have not (and will not) try it. :P

• 3 weeks later...
We just had our 2007 Gx 470 stolen. Very similar case to rx400 case described. Has anyone heard of other thefts of late model Lexus? Any thoughts on how to recover?

Do you have Lexus Link in the GX? Try and contact Lexus if you do have the system. Otherwise, I honestly do not know. Police report?

Wow I feel blessed that my GX470 was not stolen. One time I accidentally left the key in the ignition (with the engine off) and went inside costco for 45 minutes, to find myself looking for the key when i was at the register, and quickly ran back to the car to find the key still in the ignition! lol. I was shocked and thankful that no one ran off with my car (for free, w/o a drop of sweat in doing it) .

We just had our 2007 Gx 470 stolen. Very similar case to rx400 case described. Has anyone heard of other thefts of late model Lexus? Any thoughts on how to recover?

Do you have Lexus Link in the GX? Try and contact Lexus if you do have the system. Otherwise, I honestly do not know. Police report?

Wow I feel blessed that my GX470 was not stolen. One time I accidentally left the key in the ignition (with the engine off) and went inside costco for 45 minutes, to find myself looking for the key when i was at the register, and quickly ran back to the car to find the key still in the ignition! lol. I was shocked and thankful that no one ran off with my car (for free, w/o a drop of sweat in doing it) .

we did have lexus link. Did not renew. Lexus link person told us that they can not "ping" the car, since our subscription was not active. Does that make sense. It seems to be that if there was a "link" once there should still be a link. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

A trick I've used on several cars is to:

1) find the sensor wire running from the crank (or distributor for older cars) to the ignition computer input

2) connect a push on push off microswitch that can ground the sensor wire in a place not visually apparent

3) install the microswitch under the upholstery in a convenient place, where a slight push will toggle the switch

4) when parked, simply toggle the switch to ground the sensor and the engine will not run

If you make the connections in a place that is not obvious, the bad guys have to a) figure out what you've done and then B) run a new wire. Of course, they've probably already damaged the car getting into it, etc.

A friend of mine, with a BMW (which used standard DIM radios), simply got to the place that he didn't replace the radio and just left the car unlocked! He found that was easier than fixing the $500 worth of damage whenever someone stole his $200 radio.

Some would-be thieves routinely walk by vehicles and pull up on the door handle to see if the vehicle is locked. If it is locked, the thief simply walks by and checks the next vehicle. Needless-to-say, having your car locked is a good way to avoid break-ins by this type of person.