Tis The Season!

Hey guys, I replaced the oxygen sensor on my '91 LS and all was fine. Today I went to lunch and on the way back from the resturant, my CEL comes on and I am getting code 71 EGR system malfunction. Can someone steer me into the right direction for repair. I have cleaned the EGR filter, changed the air filter, and seafoamed.

Yeah there's a little guy on first gens you can pull out and blow off.

Unhook the battery to reset the computer, see if the code comes back.. hopefully it's just a fluke!

OKay, I think i got a solution. I noticed that I would get the CEL when I was idling in traffic. I have narrowed it down to either my cracked EGR pipe or just a malfunction in the EGR valve. I took the valve off yesterday and cleaned it out with compressed air. Since the cleaning, I have had no CEL in my morning commute which includes idling and interstate driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, the CEL is back on again. It does go off once in a while for a few mins after a restart. Everytime I pull the hose I get code "71" EGR System Malfunction. I know my "crack pipe" (egr pipe on back of engine) is shot. Would this be causing all of the problems? Also any ideas would be a great help!!! Thanks